case ih 685 trans grinding problem

/ case ih 685 trans grinding problem #1  

mccubbin05

Tractor
Case/IH 685
Hello I have a case ih 685 tractor no cab 2wd with close to 2k hrs the tractor is pretty new to me and the only case ih ive ever drove. The problem is pretty much everytime the tractor will rake or grind going into gear pretty much in all the gears it is better at a idle and anything above idle is pretty bad about grinding in my opinion. It seems like it gets better as the tractor warms up. The tractor has always been well kept and stored inside from previous owner. I have tried doing some adjustments at the pedal but it hasent seemed to help. The tractor has set alot. I was wondering if anyone knows if these tractors have a pilot bearing or bushing? If it has a bearing has anyone had any problems of the pilot bearing dragging alittle bit. Or would that cause this concern ? Also with the clutch fully pressed the tractor wants to lunge or move alittle bit when putting into gear. The clutch seems to have enough free travel in my opinion. Any opinions or advice will be apreciated Thank you.

/ case ih 685 trans grinding problem #2  
I have a 385, pretty much same as yours but smaller/less hp. Mine will sometime balk when changing from f/r but that is pretty typical of any non-synchronized transmission. It doesn't lunge, though and the synchronized speed gears change smoothly. I agree with you that something is dragging the clutch.

/ case ih 685 trans grinding problem
Ok ya I called my local case ih dealer and they said they only sold 4 pilot bearings in 4 years if thats the case so im guessing its not a common problem, I would say lots of sitting time would possibly be some of my troubles. I know thats never good on anything. I might just have to break down and try and split it. And see if I see anything going on. I wonder if these are very hard tractors to split ? Thanks for the replie

/ case ih 685 trans grinding problem #4  
if it has the gear shift on the side , they all do it ,the linkage get;s worn