Oil & Fuel IH 238 Coolant question

/ IH 238 Coolant question #1  

maestrotla

Tractor
International 238
I have a 1978 IH238 with 1850 loader. This is the industrial version of the 384. It has BD154 diesel engine. I have coolant coming out of the overflow pipe near the radiator cap. It does this when the engine gets warm, even if I plug in the rad hose heater as soon as it gets warm it starts to drip from the overflow with out even starting the engine. When it is running temp gauge never goes above about 150 degrees, but it is still dripping coolant from the overflow. Any ideas where to start? As with many older machines the parts can be pricey, so I don't want to just start replacing parts. I can replace the cap, then the thermostat etc, but if someone has had this problem before let me know. Thanks!!!

/ IH 238 Coolant question #2  
G'day I would start with a new cap also are you constantly filling it up? I ask this as alot of machines will run to a level they are happy with.
Fill it up and run for an hour or so and when cool check the level if it is still above the core and without adding any more coolant work machine for another hour with an eye on temp gauge let cool again and check level again, if it hasn't moved then dont bother filling back up to the top as it will only spew it out til it gets to it's level.

Hope this makes sense.

Jon

Last edited: