Oil & Fuel oil pump

/ oil pump #1  

bobterry

Tractor
case 885
i have a 885 case tractor, at least 30-40 years old. the oil pump light came on and I removed the oil sensing and no oil squirted out so i figured the oil pump was gone. so i removed the oil, oil pan, and oil pump and it looks to be in working condition. any suggestions as to watch to check next?

/ oil pump #2  
Welcome to the forum. The 85 series tractors were made from '85-'90, so your tractor isn't ancient as tractors go. When you say that the "oil pump" light came on, are you talking about the engine oil pressure light? You removed the oil pressure switch, turned over the engine, and no oil came out where the switch was removed? I'm not a diesel mechanic, but if the oil pump is good I would check whatever drives the pump to be stripped or broken, or if there is a pick up tube check it for broken or bad gasket so that the pump pulls air. Was the engine rattling badly after the oil pressure light came on?

/ oil pump
yes the engine oil pressure light came;

yes, no oil came out when the switch was removed

we haven't solved the problem yet, we continue to google and ask questions, thanks for your help

/ oil pump #4  
i have a 885 case tractor, at least 30-40 years old. the oil pump light came on and I removed the oil sensing and no oil squirted out so i figured the oil pump was gone. so i removed the oil, oil pan, and oil pump and it looks to be in working condition. any suggestions as to watch to check next?

bobterry,

If that is a gas engine, check the shaft between the distributor and the oil pump. It could be twisted (which will make it grow SHORTER), and replace. If it is a diesel engine, try to follow up from the underside of the engine to see if the shaft between the oil pump and the camshaft has twisted or broken. Either way. It sounds like the oil pump is not turning. That would be the EASY fix. If the drive shaft to the oil pump is not broken or twisted, then you MAY have a problem with the drive gear on the camshaft. (MUCH more trouble to fix.) :2cents: :confused: Good luck.

Dave