Backhoe Case 540 B Backhoe Transmission Fluid problems

/ Case 540 B Backhoe Transmission Fluid problems #1  

lawabed

Tractor
case 540B
Does anyone know if the transmission and hydraulic system are interconnected on a Case 540 B backhoe? I keep losing about 3 gallons of transmission oil every time I use it for a half hour so.

All functions keep operating, but the machine quits going forward or backwards. Do have some cylinder leakage and don't mind topping off the hydraulics every few days, cant afford 5-gallons each time.

The thing that makes me wonder if the transmission oil is leaking into the water system is that lots of fluid comes out the overflow hose, but the water in the radiator doesn't go down. Is there
any possibility that it is the case here? A neighbor/mechanic changed the water pump impeller.

Good words of wisdom greatly appreciated. Live on small island not many people that I've searched out know about such things.

Thank you,
Larry

/ Case 540 B Backhoe Transmission Fluid problems #2  
Ive been looking for an answer but cant find it. I would think on most industrial TLBs they would share fluid.

/ Case 540 B Backhoe Transmission Fluid problems #3  
Although the JD my dad used to own had two hydraulic tanks.

/ Case 540 B Backhoe Transmission Fluid problems
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

/ Case 540 B Backhoe Transmission Fluid problems #5  
G'day mate if you are loosing 3 gallons of oil in 1/2 hr it must be a pretty obvious leak:eek:, I don't think that they have a common oil supply I reckon the trans and hyd are seperate.

Jon

G'day mate if you are loosing 3 gallons of oil in 1/2 hr it must be a pretty obvious leak:eek:, I don't think that they have a common oil supply I reckon the trans and hyd are seperate.

Jon

Thank you Jon, Yes, the overflow hose coming out of the top of the radiator has a constant flow of fluid coming out. Coincidentally the transmission tank empties out, this is why I am wondering if they are interconnected - the transmission - the cooling and the hydraulics.

/ Case 540 B Backhoe Transmission Fluid problems #7  
First, let's see if it's the right model you're speaking of. I've never heard of, or seen a Case 540B. Case doesn't list any in their online parts book. A 580B, yes...

If it is in fact a 580B, then there is an oil cooler built into the radiator. Sounds like an oil cooler tube has ruptured inside the bottom tank of the radiator, and the pressure from the trans. pump is pushing the oil out the overflow tube. I'd surely thing the coolant would have to look milky, or at the least, the coolant look like a rainbow from oil contamination.

I did a quick search, and looks like new aftermarket radiators range from $500.00+ to $700.00 and up. Or, you could probably take it to a radiator shop, and they could repair it.

DJ54,

Thank you for taking the time that you did to research and give me an answer. Yes you are right about the model and the problem. That makes complete sense and sounds completely logical. I am going to remove the radiator this weekend and try to have it rebuilt. The fluid is milky. My belief all along was that somehow the transmission fluid was getting into the coolant and I didn't think about the possibility of a tube inside the radiator. I think there is a real good chance that you are right. I will keep you informed

Again, thank you,

Larry

/ Case 540 B Backhoe Transmission Fluid problems #9  
No problem, it just helps to post the right model number. That's the first thing I, and I'm sure other's that are familiar with a certain model look for, and see what the problem is, and if we can help.

Good luck on the repair. If they cannot fix it, the lower reservoir w/cooling tubes is still available through Case Construction. Click on this link, Official Case Construction Equipment Online Parts Store and Parts Look Up. Parts for Case Equipment and Construction Equipment. Parts Store for Case Wheel Loaders, Case Excavators, Case Skid Steers, Case Original Parts. it will be #17 in the parts list.

It won't be a cheap fix using this. Doing a Google search on the part number, looks like $460.00 for just that part. Just trying to save you some sticker shock.