585 fuel question

/ 585 fuel question #1  

ARAYT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Ford 750 TLB, Case 585
Tractor seems to run out of fuel. It starts stalling out slows down then speeds back up. Sometimes will completely shut off. Its erratic works fine for a few minutes then starts doing it again. I've changed the filters, 1st one had some debris in it. Did not help. Anybody know if there's a screen or something else I can check. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray

/ 585 fuel question #2  
I hope your tractor is like my 560. Take the return line loose and as you run the tractor it will leak. If it runs then the check valve in the reurn line is plugged. The 560's return line is to the bottom of the tank. Some pump will stop pumping if there is too much pressure in the pump. Good luck and I hope this works for you like it did for me. Jim

/ 585 fuel question
I hope your tractor is like my 560. Take the return line loose and as you run the tractor it will leak. If it runs then the check valve in the reurn line is plugged. The 560's return line is to the bottom of the tank. Some pump will stop pumping if there is too much pressure in the pump. Good luck and I hope this works for you like it did for me. Jim

Thanks Jim, I was not aware of the check valve. I'll give it a try.
Thanks again, Ray

/ 585 fuel question #4  
Tractor seems to run out of fuel. It starts stalling out slows down then speeds back up. Sometimes will completely shut off. Its erratic works fine for a few minutes then starts doing it again. I've changed the filters, 1st one had some debris in it. Did not help. Anybody know if there's a screen or something else I can check. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray
Ray, I've got a friend that has a 585 and had the same problem...an "old" farmer down the road from them told them that the fuel line (I believe its the one that has the woven mesh over it) has a tendency to "collapse" when it gets old...as well as I remember its the one that comes out of the fuel pump going up to the injection pump...if it is, its and easy fix, but you will have to bleed the unit once you change it out. Good luck, let us know what happens. BobG in VA

/ 585 fuel question
Ray, I've got a friend that has a 585 and had the same problem...an "old" farmer down the road from them told them that the fuel line (I believe its the one that has the woven mesh over it) has a tendency to "collapse" when it gets old...as well as I remember its the one that comes out of the fuel pump going up to the injection pump...if it is, its and easy fix, but you will have to bleed the unit once you change it out. Good luck, let us know what happens. BobG in VA

Thanks Bob. I know the line you are talking about I'll make sure its ok. Its cold here like most everywhere, it will be a few days but I'll let yall know what I find. I appreciate the advise.
Thanks, Ray

/ 585 fuel question
Guys I removed all the fuel lines, blew them out and she seems to be running fine. Still have not put her to the test but I believe she is gonna be ok. Thanks again for the help!
Ray