I-H Scout

/ I-H Scout #1  

BRUSHTAMERS

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana 5740 C
There is a 1964 Scout for sale in my area for $1400. Pretty rusty but fixable. I'm pretty sure 64 was the first year they were produced. The local Cornbinder dealer had bought himself, or had been given by International. a Scout with a half cab,P.T.O., and 3 point arms. He had a 6' sickle bar mower attached, I don't remember any other implements he used on it. I'd love to build one of these units, I'm betting that it used all International parts. My question is, has anyone else ever seen one of these rigs? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ I-H Scout #2  
They had some neat hook-ups years ago as Jeep also had a three point hitch and rear pto. I like the full boat Unimog myself! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I-H Scout #3  
Yeah, I think 64 was the first year. We had a 66 Scout when I was young. My first driving experience, so it holds a warm spot for me. My mother hated it from day 1 as she had to give up her Morris Minor convertible for the Scout. It was a pretty pathetic vehicle but ours was only two wheel drive and had a fiberglass "sport top" roof. We'd cram all six of us into that thing for travels all over the country. Not even sure where most of us sat but I feel kind of sorry for my parents now that I have a couple of youngsters of my own to contend with /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There is a cult following to the Scouts. Do a search for "Scouts West", it's a pretty good sized Scout club. You'll find all sorts of contacts to ask about your purchase.

Good luck, and post some pictures if you have a chance /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ I-H Scout #4  
back in the late 60's a freind of mine had a scout, we used to take it hunting in the adarondak mountains of ny, from the last road it was about 7 miles back into the hunting camp, logging road. he did have a winch on it(thank god) that thing rode terrible. cab leaked, and heater was not worth a darn, but it sure could move thro the mud and snow. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ I-H Scout
Yeah, them old Scouts bring back memories. My Great Grandpa used to let me drive him around the woods during hunting season, but he was a little too old for active four wheeling, being in his late 80's at the time. Don't know if it was a stock footrest or not, but there was a bolt under the foot throttle, and my Grandpa had backed it out so that the top speed was 35 mph. Didn't want his Dad rolling it on a corner. I do remember seeing something about Jeep PTO's,but not for implements. This setup was for power beyond to drive the wheels of the utility trailer. Found the Scoutswest site, but having a little trouble posting, not as user friendly as TBN /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ I-H Scout #6  
The jeeps did have PTO's and 3-points for implements like a brush hog, plow, etc. I know cause I have a 1948 4wd, civilian model willys CJ-2A jeep. I have the original manuals for it and it has the 3-point and PTO in there, for use on implements.

Ryan

/ I-H Scout #7  
Your PTO will mount off the back of the T-18 transfer case. It is a common transfer case to early Jeeps and Scouts. You can tell because the early Jeeps used an offset rear diff; the rear driv shaft come offset from the transfer case. Later models used the T-20, where the rear driveshaft comes out in-line with the tranny and the centered rear diff.

PTO's to the frontend and rear end are not uncommon. You'll see some pto winches on older rigs...

/ I-H Scout #8  
The D20 had a pto as well. I've got one for my bronco. They do not interchange with the Scout ones though since the front output is on the other side.

/ I-H Scout #9  
I think, but am not sure, that the Bronco's also had a lower low range gear. It was just littlle bit lower...