Differential lock on 244

/ Differential lock on 244 #1  

barkerwc4362

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 332 (1987 and 1989) and 2004 John Deere 790 with 300 loader
It appears the differential lock on my 244 is always engaged. Is the lock supposed to automatically release when the pedal is released? What causes the lock to disengage? My pedal just flops. When the pedal is released it does not force the lock to disengage. I crawled under the tractor, but cannot move the lever that engages/disengages the lock. Does the tractor have to be running to cause the lock to disengage? What will happen if I tap on the lever that engages/disengages the lock on the side of the transfer in an attempt to get it to disengage?

Bill

/ Differential lock on 244 #2  
Not familiar with that tractor, but generally here is a strong spring to return the foot lever to the disengaged position. If the lock wasn't used fairly regularly the lever could be stuck/frozen. The tractor doesn't need to be running to engage/disengage the lock. Sometimes if the lock doesn't disengage after use, put the tractor in reverse for a foot or two to take the stress off it. If the lever is stuck, I would spray with penetrating oil and gently tap one direction and then the other. I guess it is possible the problem is internal.

Some history of how long it has been this way, how you discovered it is in the locked position, etc, might help diagnose.

/ Differential lock on 244 #3  
I would try lifting one rear tire off the ground and rocking the tire back and forth while trying to move the diff lock mechanism.

/ Differential lock on 244 #4  
You may find the diff lock lever to be depressed and the actual internal lock not working. Of the few 234,244,254 tractors I have seen, only a couple had working diff locks. The others had failed internally.
Check your return spring. Just goes from the pedal to the frame. And as the previous poster suggested. Jack it up and confirm it is engaged or disengaged.

/ Differential lock on 244
The return spring is missing. Another part that needs to be ordered. Once I get it back together I'll check out the differential lock.

Bill