Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe?

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #1  

motoguy

Tractor
n/a
We recently purchased a new home. I'm planning on building a 40x60 shop, and estimates for ground work (approaching $10k) have surprised me. This has prompted me to justify the purchase of a tractor, and do the groundwork myself. I've been looking at high 30s-mid 40's hp UT or CUT units, with a backhoe attachment. However, my family (uncle) owns/has this old Case 580B Construction King, which has been HIGHLY neglected.

My understanding is that it had engine troubles, and a "friend of a friend" was going to cut a "buddy deal" on an engine repair. That apparently turned into "leave the engine torn apart, and tractor to sit out in the elements for 10 years." It's obviously in need of a lot of work (and an engine), but that's offset by the fact that it's free. Cylinders have some pitting/rust/scratches, hoses look old and brittle, but I can easily replace hoses (if it's cost effective). It's got the extendable hoe, which seems nice.

Is this thing worth bringing back to life, or am I better off continuing my search for 1) hoe-equipped tractor of size mentioned above, or 2) just get a running backhoe? I guess I'm just wondering the feasibility of bringing this back to life. Seems a shame to let it sit there and rot, but it simply may not make financial sense to bring it back to life.

Ideas or thoughts? 20150306_122001_resized_1.jpg20150306_122014_resized_1.jpg20150306_122029_resized_1.jpg20150306_122033_resized_1.jpg20150306_122110_resized_1.jpg20150306_122120_resized_1.jpg20150306_122224_resized.jpg20150306_122120_resized_1.jpg20150306_121952_resized_1.jpg20150306_122126_resized.jpg

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #2  
Looks like a worthwhile project ! I'd budget about 3 years and plan on buying another the same for parts. ---Trevor

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #3  
It's going to be a money pit after sitting outside with the engine apart for 10 years.
If you take on the project it will take quite a while to completely rebuild. If it were me, I'd look for a running tractor you could use now in preparation to build your shop. Get the shop done first then you could take on the 580 project if you desire.

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #4  
A great first project for a new barn IMO.;)

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #5  
Very tidy looking digger . Nice little fixer .

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #6  
I hate to be a downer, but the rescue of that machine will probably exceed $10K. The engine alone could suck that much up.

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #7  
I worked for a pipeline company that bought a bunch of these hoes every couple of years. Had the foot swing on the rear. They were lighter then the Cat and cheaper to buy. Considered good for mud because of the weight. When they needed to be redone they sold the whole group of them to a company that exported them to India. After they were rebuilt in India they were put back to work overseas. Parts and labor to high to do it here.

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #8  
I own the model just before the 580B. Mine was in better shape, engine running etc, and I am still into it for about $8,000 and still have another $1000 or so to go. That particular machine in the picture is missing one of the main boom cylinders. The 580B has a double main boom cylinder set up. It might work with one cylinder, but your digging power will be limited. I know where there is a machine in similar condition (no engine, machine in tough shape) for $5000, but the guy has been trying to sell it for five years, no takers. I would ask your uncle if he minds if you take it and part it out, You could probably earn a few $$'s toward a more suitable machine that is already ready to go. If you do decide to re-build, parts are somewhat available and all the cylinders are easily rebuildable. However, the estimates of 3 years and $10K are probably pretty close to correct depending on how much spare time you have.

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #9  
Boy unless it is a love of yours... I wouldn't spend the labor and money on it cause it will take more than you will think from the sounds of it. If you got time and a soft spot okay... otherwise if you are more interested in getting the work done around your new home which I gather you are... go another direction. My :2cents:

/ Is it worth trying to revive this 580B backhoe? #10  
I agree with others. IT is gonna cost more to fix than it will be worth in the end. IE: money pit. IF it has some special sentimental value and you have deep pockets would be the only way I would even consider it