PTO Or Bush Hog Problem ?

/ PTO Or Bush Hog Problem ? #1  

BobbyCarmon

Tractor
TO30 and 384 International
I would appreciate any help that would help me solve or steer me in the right direction with this problem. I have a 1982 384 International tractor that I'm having an issue with the PTO struggles (sounds very rough when trying to engage when I have my bush hog connected). PTO will not go into gear easy when the bush hog shaft is connected to the pto shaft. Without pto and bush hog connected pto will engage and get faster with the increase in rpm's, I'm assuming that the pto is working. I can turn the pto shaft by hand engaged or not engaged, is this normal? The bush is an old one, I don't know the model or make, it came with another tractor that I bought a while back. The gearbox shaft rotates freely when I turn it by hand, didn't detach any binding. The owner of this bush hog did a lot of home made modifications, It has a home made shaft that I notice has a lot of lose play when it's connected to the tractor pto and bush hog gearbox. Any help will be helpful.

/ PTO Or Bush Hog Problem ? #2  
Sounds to me like your "pto clutch" needs adjusting or is going out... I'd check the adjustment first...

SR

/ PTO Or Bush Hog Problem ?
Thanks Sawyer, Is checking the pto clutch adjustment something that I can do my self? I don't know that much about case International tractors, first one I ever owned. I have a shop manual on order. Any help that you can offer me on how to go about checking the adjustment would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bobby

/ PTO Or Bush Hog Problem ? #5  
Does it have an independent PTO that you engage with a lever to the right of the seat? I am not familiar with that model, but the IH 300u I had had the i-pto that way. If so, there are two clutch bands inside the I-pto and the adjusters for them are on the top right side of the i-pto housing. They will be a fine threaded flat head screw with a jam nut. One is the brake, one is the engagement clutch. I dont recall the adjustment proceedures, but I think you adjust the clutches so the PTO will spin freely in the mid position of the lever. further engaging will stop the shaft from turning (engaged to the tractor), and further disengaging will apply the brake band.

If you can spin it with it disengaged, the brake definatally needs adjusted. When fully engaged though, it should free-spin one way, but not the other. If it free spins both ways, the clutch also needs tightened.

Again, this is all assuming you have the I-pto on the back. Which looks like an extension of the tractors rear, that is about 12" x 12" and sticks about 8" back. The lever to engage goes directly to this box.

/ PTO Or Bush Hog Problem ? #6  
I think, once you get the shop manual and read how the adjustment is made, you will be able to decide for yourself if it's something you can do...

SR

/ PTO Or Bush Hog Problem ? #7  
Does it have an independent PTO that you engage with a lever to the right of the seat?

I think the independent PTO you describe was gone by the '70's. With it having an 8/2 transmission, I believe it will have the 2-stage clutch. If it is like my IH from that vintage, the PTO portion of the clutch will have adjustment points accessed through an opening in the bell housing.

Hey LD1, Yes it has an independent PTO that you engage with a lever located on the left of the seat. I can it by hand with disengaged in both direction. With tractor running PTO engaged it spins to the left ( facing rear of tractor). I didn't try to spin it by hand with lever engaged, will try that today.
I have to look again about the extension, I don't think so. will check.

Thanks,
BobbyCarmon

I think so to SR. Thanks

geneP, This is a 1982 year. If that means anything.

Thanks