International 674 sitting for 10 years

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #1  

Matt1981

Tractor
International 674,David brown
I have a International 674 that has been sitting for approximately 10 years . It has been kept dry inside a barn but it hasn't had anything else done to it.

When it was parked the starter motor was stuck which i have since fixed.

Is there anything I should be doing before trying to get it going again ?

New Battery,Oil and Filter, and Diesel is what I had in mind is there anything else I need to consider doing ?

if anyone can offer advice, useful info or tips and tricks it would be great.

Thanks

Matt1981

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #2  
Have you tried to turn the engine to see if it is stuck? I don't have much experience with diesels, but if it was a gas engine I would pour some Marvel Mystery Oil or trans fluid in the cylinders and let sit for a few days before trying to turn it. Maybe could remove the injectors on a diesel to apply it. Be sure and remove injectors and turn the engine before cranking on the engine to prevent liquid lock.

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #3  
When you drain the fuel change the fuel filters and bleed the fuel system. Then loosen the inlet fitting on the injector to pump to flush out old fuel.
Set the shutoff lever to cold start position,crank the engine after 10-15 seconds there should be exhaust smoke, if it smokes but doesnt fire after
cranking a few more seconds give it a little shot of starting fluid.

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #4  
Personally I would let it run for a minute before I bother changing the oil. That is as long as it wasn't milky.

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #5  
Agree with GeneP - make sure you do not have liquid lock and that it is not stuck. Check the oils and make sure they are there and not milky. Then follow Partspring's comments about changing the fuel and fuel filter. Also agree with DT86 on the engine oil - let it warm up good and get things stirred up before you drain it. I would consider putting a 2 cups of diesel fuel in the oil as a cleaner to help get everything cleaned out from the settling. I wouldn't worry about changing the hydraulic oil and filter unless you have problems once you get it going and the oil looks alright.

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #6  
Good luck, I have always liked that series of International tractors.

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #7  
Since you changed the oil I would pull the tractor with another in gear to build up some oil pressure. It just seems to me that building up some oil pressure before starting would be good. After 10 years of setting I think the cling factor is all in the bottom of the pan. Gravity has done it's thing.

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #8  
I'm looking at an 674 D. The exhaust manifold directs the exhaust pipe down under and across the engine so that it vents under the left side of the tractor. I'm a bit confused as the hood and sheet metal have an opening for a vertical pipe. The owner says he never modified the tractor and everything is in the same condition / place as the day he bought it 20 years ago.

I can't find any 684D's without a vertical exhuast. Does anyone know or has anyone seen an 674D with this exhaust configuration?

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #9  
I'm looking at an 674 D. The exhaust manifold directs the exhaust pipe down under and across the engine so that it vents under the left side of the tractor. I'm a bit confused as the hood and sheet metal have an opening for a vertical pipe. The owner says he never modified the tractor and everything is in the same condition / place as the day he bought it 20 years ago.

I can't find any 684D's without a vertical exhuast. Does anyone know or has anyone seen an 674D with this exhaust configuration?
I think there is one on Fastline that has the exhaust coming down the right side rear of the engine and then back under the right side of the tractor.

/ International 674 sitting for 10 years #10  
Googled this. Looks to stay under the right side

Attachments

• image-1133881141.jpg
    image-1133881141.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 3,704