Farmall 200 questions

/ Farmall 200 questions #1  

8ntractorjdx

Tractor
Kubota B2301
Just bought a farmall 200 my first farmall. The tractor has been neglected and abused. It has a henderson loader on it. Some of these questions seem very dumb even to me and I am asking them --- but here goes.

1) I cannot find a spark plug socket that will fit between the casting and the plug. I know I could just grind down the socket but am I missing something?
2.) The tie rods are bent one much more than the other. the tractor does not steer well because of the loader. it is not terrible but not what i would expect. will the bent tie rod make a difference. the wheels are toed out. the current tie rods have been welded so changing it could be costly.
3. The manual calls for oiling the fan hub. the slotted screw has never been removed best I can tell and I can not get it out. do others oil this?

4. The depth adjusting link is there but I cannot get it to telescope at all any tips? I will be using a fast hitch homemade backblade and think I may need to control the depth for snow plowing.

5. The tractor came with a broken generator belt. when I replaced the belt the generator or the belt was squealing and the generator was very warm to the touch. the bracket was badly welded which of course did not hold. So is there any way to tell if the generator is bad on the bench? I ordered new brackets (the weld was so bad there was nothing left to weld) but would like to get the generator rebuilt if needed while I wait for the parts. It is a long drive to the motor shop so I would like to make sure it is bad. Interestingly enough there are no gauges on the tractor and the amp meter wire goes to a switch to stop the charge from going to the battery. Maybe the regulator portion of the alternator is bad? the alternator is a delco.

Are there any other quirks with these tractors I have owned a allis wd 30 years ago and a 8n more recently. the motor starts easily and seems to run ok. I have been working on the tractor instead of with the tractor so I do not know how it will handle a load. At least there is no obvious smoke. The tractor will be used for snow plowing and light loader landscaping work.

thanks

Ben

/ Farmall 200 questions #2  
1. Sounds like someone put the wrong plugs in at some point.
2. You need an attachment (a heavy one) to counterbalance the loader without PS.
3. Never heard of that but know very little about old Farmalls. Hopefully someone can/will answer that - there are not a lot of those still in use.
4. You'll probably have to get a new link if the thing was seldom adjusted. Maybe rusted solid.
5. There are methods to test both a generator and an alternator on a bench, but I need to know which one you have. You referenced both.

Oh by the way, welcome to TBN:welcome: The way your title is written, I was expecting another 195 questions. Good luck!

/ Farmall 200 questions
1. Sounds like someone put the wrong plugs in at some point.
2. You need an attachment (a heavy one) to counterbalance the loader without PS.
3. Never heard of that but know very little about old Farmalls. Hopefully someone can/will answer that - there are not a lot of those still in use.
4. You'll probably have to get a new link if the thing was seldom adjusted. Maybe rusted solid.
5. There are methods to test both a generator and an alternator on a bench, but I need to know which one you have. You referenced both.

Oh by the way, welcome to TBN:welcome: The way your title is written, I was expecting another 195 questions. Good luck!

Thank you Fawken

as far as the questions its been less than a week i am sure more are coming. thanks for the tip on the spark plug up until 5 minutes ago I did not know spark plugs came in 7/8 I started to panic thinking it should have been a 5/8 and they somehow squeezed a 13/16 in, I think it is an alternator there is no regulator on the tractor so I am assuming it is built in. I am ok on the steering I had concrete poured last year and my 84 year old neighbor had the foresight to grap a pipe and 4 ft chunk left over sonotube for a lawn roller. I was just wondering if the bent tie rod affected the steering.

/ Farmall 200 questions #4  
Spark plugs come in all variations and combinations of thread and nut sizes. The tie rod on that tractor- unless it's really bent and or rubbing on something shouldn't make it any harder to steer. I looked at the tractor just now on Tractor Data and it looks like they were last produced in 1956 and have a 6 volt generator. You do have a 6 volt battery in it correct? A generator uses permanent magnets rather than a charged stator, so they can be checked on a bench with just a drill to turn it and a volt meter. Surprised there's no relay type regulator, though.

/ Farmall 200 questions
Hello Fawken

It has been converted to 12 volt. The tractor has a group 31 semi truck battery in it. it has a switch to stop the battery from getting a charge. and it has both alternator brackets broken or cracked and badly repaired. all pretty suspicious. I guess I could use the tractor with just the battery until the brackets get here then try the alternator and see if the belt can be tightened enough to stop the noise. if not take the alternator in at that time.

thank you again for your help.