3-Point Hitch Need Help!! Smoking International 2424

/ Need Help!! Smoking International 2424 #1  

gas69

Tractor
1954 Farmall Cub
I recently bought a International 2424 tractor with a 3 Piont Hitch... I was bottom plowing a field and the steering began to go away and the rear hitch was lazy coming up... I figured it was low on hydraulic oil... I added about a gallon and a half to the hydraulic resevoir in the rear and began to steer again, but I noticed it was smoking quit a bit now and it was blue... oil burning smoke... I wanted to finish the last few rows but I started to loose the steering again and the lift on the 3 point hitch... I had to leave the plow there as I couldn't lift it... and I manged to get the tractor back to the barn with hardly no steering but smoking up a storm... Is there any way the hydraulic oil can be entering the combustion chamber? I know years ago if a vacume brake booster was bad the brake fluid would enter the combustion chamber and cause it to smoke.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you... Steve

Last edited:
   / Need Help!! Smoking International 2424 #2  
Could be bad fuel- or rings, or valve guides, cracked head, blown head gasket, bad injector pump, or something else. Try draining and bleeding the fuel system first.

/ Need Help!! Smoking International 2424 #3  
Check the crankcase oil level if it is considerably overfull most likely the hydraulic pump is leaking into the crankcase.

/ Need Help!! Smoking International 2424
Ok.... I had checked the crank case in the morning, but never rechecked it...Yeah that sounds like a plan, now I guess I need to look and see what a rebuilt pump goes for and what kind of job to R & R it is.... Thanks I will let you know... Steve

/ Need Help!! Smoking International 2424 #5  
Ok.... I had checked the crank case in the morning, but never rechecked it...Yeah that sounds like a plan, now I guess I need to look and see what a rebuilt pump goes for and what kind of job to R & R it is.... Thanks I will let you know... Steve

Yes when the seal on the hydraulic pump goes it dumps hydraulic oil in the engine.

I R&R the hydraulic pump on my 424 the Ag version of your tractor and it is easy. If you get the 10 GPM pump they are more money, but the 7 or GPM is arounf $250. My diesel had the 10 GPM one.