My NEW Case 530 utility tractor

/ My NEW Case 530 utility tractor #1  

Walker1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 530
Some years ago I sold the '48 Ford 8N that I used around my house. I had it up at my place in the mountains, but it was not heavy enough to do work up there. Also with the well worn motor, it barely had enough guts to pull itself up the mountain, much less a load of dirt. I also sold my Cat forklift and bought a Case 1845 skid steer thinking that would act as a forklift and front loader, but found out they make terrible lifts for guys working alone. I recently sold the skidder as well.
I was looking for an early Case 580 when I ran across this 530 with a loader and gannon for a reasonable price. The rear 3pt wouldn't lift, and the fluids were milky. After I got it back to the shop, I changed the fluids and filters, and rebuild the lift cover piston. Had to hone the cylinder because of a rust ring, but it holds like a rock now.
I picked up two new rear 14.9 24 Alliance tires, for $295 each, and am planning on putting those on in the morning.
I have a lot of slightly weepy seals on the loader, and one leak on the front pump. I bought a seal for the front pump, as it is only slightly weepy while running, and drips after being shut off. I thought I would try the seal first. If it still leaks afterward I will just put in a new pump. The loader bucket needs a new cutting edge welded in as well. I plan on putting on a reversible bolt on edge as well.
It was difficult to keep it running initially, as the crud in the tank kept blocking the hole into the sediment bowl. I drained out the old fuel, and installed a screen onto the inlet side of the sediment bowl, and replaced the missing screen in the top of the bowl. I had to take apart the carb and clean some dirt out of that, as the needle and seat were sticking. I will likely need to replace those as they seem to stick closed from time to time now, but is at least serviceable.
One of the brakes was shot, and had been taken apart. I ordered new bands and balls and got that working. Still need to replace the side linings, but both brakes function now.
The clutch pedal had broken and the PO welded on a car pedal the the stub. It works, but doesn't have the right articulation. I will look for a pedal for it, or just forge a new piece with the right curvature.
I need to build a seat pad for it as both of the pads are missing. The rubber seat springs are shot as well, but those can wait.
The Gannon has been abused and will need two new cutting edges, as well as 8 rippers. I had 4 from my last tractor, so I put those in. The latch mechanism doesn't work, as it is bent up inside. I should be able to make it function again with minimal effort though. The linkages that control the ripper bar are all shot, so I will need to make some new pieces there.
By the end of winter I should have it back into respectable shape and be able to run it up to the mountains to maintain my road and building pad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 550
   / My NEW Case 530 utility tractor
Got the new rear tires on. It rides much better.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 1,063
   / My NEW Case 530 utility tractor #3  
Nice..!!

And so starts my "restoration"

After having pulled the front pump off only to find it had PO disease and was not repairable, I did what I generally try to do on these projects, and clean up the affected area and make any other repairs so I don't have to tear it apart again.
I tried to pull the splined shaft, so I could install a new fan belt. It wouldn't budge, so I had to pull off the adapter. The bolts wouldn't come all the way out because of the radiator mount. I pulled the hood, and the fan, and the radiator and mount. Then got the adapter off and knocked out the shaft, blasted and painted it all. After several pressure washings and digging through the muck I got the front end cleaned up. I went ahead and painted the area. It is all ready for the new pump, which should arrive in a week.
I will be waiting impatiently for the new pump to arrive. I had been enjoying driving the mile up to get the mail, and generally toying around with the tractor.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 458
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 289
The pump came today, so I was able to get my tractor moving again. Since the grill and front bumper were off, I sandblasted them and gave them a coat of paint. Since I was painting, I also shot the front wheels, and removed the seat and blasted and painted that as well. I made a couple of patterns for the seat to make a couple of cushions.
Also, last week I pulled my LH lift link and repaired that. The leveling box was pretty badly cobbled, so there is no saving it. I have one for a Massey 245 on the way, hopefully it will fit without too much work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 547
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 1,940
   / My NEW Case 530 utility tractor #6  
Nice job bring her back to life. I hope she gives you years of postal service.

/ My NEW Case 530 utility tractor #7  
The pump came today, so I was able to get my tractor moving again. Since the grill and front bumper were off, I sandblasted them and gave them a coat of paint. Since I was painting, I also shot the front wheels, and removed the seat and blasted and painted that as well. I made a couple of patterns for the seat to make a couple of cushions.
Also, last week I pulled my LH lift link and repaired that. The leveling box was pretty badly cobbled, so there is no saving it. I have one for a Massey 245 on the way, hopefully it will fit without too much work.

Well, in looking around the forum, I found that you had started a thread here. I'm really enjoying your thread, and specifically the progress and descriptions and the pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words. It looks like my pump is the same as yours and you are doing a very sanitary job of cleaning, painting, and replacing parts. Your overall picture of the tractor/loader just looks great! Hope your Gannon box replacement goes well.

/ My NEW Case 530 utility tractor #8  
Can't go wrong with the Gannon BB. If you get the fancy to do so there's a thread on here somewhere of a member converting the manual scarifier to hydraulic. I converted mine and it works great.

Nice work on the old tractor. I always liked the personality of the older Case tractors!!!

I have been considering doing just that. I need to finish rebuilding the blade mount and box sides first. If you have any pictures or measurements of the sides I would appreciate seeing them.