Starter Clicking

/ Starter Clicking #1  

bholmes

Tractor
Farmall 460
I was wanting to see if anyone had any ideas about my farmall 460 gas. I have had the local case dealer out twice and they seem to not know what is going on and I need the tractor fixed. The issue is the tractor will not turn over, it only cranks when you turn on the key and hit the ignition button. The dealer has come out and changed the starter and the generator, they have also removed the battery and load tested and it is good. The ground wire was replaced and reattached to the frame. The ground was suspected to be the issue after reading various posts and it was changed then the tractor started for the day and then sat for the weekend and it will only click when the button is pushed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

/ Starter Clicking #2  
If I understand right...it cranks ONLY when key is on and start button pushed, but doesn't crank when just the starter button is pushed? Sounds like bad connection somewhere, and sounds like everything else is supposedly good.

Connections between battery and starter, might be BAD wire or battery terminal ends. Had SLOW cranking and no cranking on a W-4. cleaned the heavy gauge wire connections on battery, start switch and starter, made a totally different tractor...

/ Starter Clicking
The tractor has to have an issue like you say with a bad connection, because I changed the ground wire the other day and it started right up and then after the weekend of sitting it only clicks again and the battery is charged to 12vdc. The tractor doesn't even crank, while you turn the key on and hit the start push button it just clicks. I am wondering if it might be the positive cable to the starter.

/ Starter Clicking #4  
These starter issues can drive you mad. I've had it on vehicles and for a few years on an onan/kubota generator. You change something and it works great. Try it two weeks later and same thing! I have changed the starter, battery, starter relay/solenoid, soldered all cable ends and assured good connections, yet still have the same groggy starts. 12 volt is a really ugly voltage for such high current applications. Everything in the chain is critical and non forgiving.

/ Starter Clicking #5  
If you have a decent set of jumper cables, you could connect one leg of the at the battery, and where the cable attaches to the starter, then try it. If it runs the starter, you've found the culprit. I have seen them corrode inside the crimped, and even the lead battery post end, and not see a bad connection.

Here is a link to the 460's wiring diagram if you don't have one. http://cngco.com/wiring_diagrams/IH 460-560-660.pdf

/ Starter Clicking #6  
First, try a different battery. They can have cracked posts and test out fine, but fail when put to work.
Then look to the solenoid and it's connections. If the connections look good, then jump power to the solenoid to see if it moves and will power up the starter. You should have found your problem somewhere in that chain of events.

/ Starter Clicking #7  
According to the Stephen King novel Dreamcatcher, this is a problem related to the spark plugs.