Engine Thermostat Temperature

/ Engine Thermostat Temperature #1  

LeedsCase

Tractor
Case 395
I have a Case 395.
To get straight to the point, what is the operating temperature range for the thermostate

For those that want the back story and to understand why I'm asking.
I noticed my engine was overheating, or at least the gauge said it was.

Like an idiot, I didn't troubleshoot. I parked it, and the next day removed the thermostat. Ran it a bit, and darn if it wasn't doing the same thing.
Thats when I realized that I should troubleshoot instead of react.
So I checked the temp. sensor, found that it was shorted to ground. Removed it, confirmed that it was shorted internally.
Replaced the sensor. That caused it not to immediately show in the red, but when first started the gauge would be at 50%.
So, I removed the instrument cluster, and found a dirt dauber nest on the back of it on the circuit board right where the temperator guage connections are.
I cleaned that off, cleaned the copper pads on all the lights, gauge connection points, and the main connection plug. Also used a bit of dielectric grease to help prevent corrosion in the future.
Also, had the replacement thermostat arrive, so I put it in at the same time.

Now, I fire it up, and the gauge shows the lowest temperature. It climbed gradually while I did some work. but it got all the way up to the red line after about 20 minutes.
I never saw a hiccup in the gauge, so it doesn't look ask if the thermostat ever opened up.

I want to test the old thermostat and the new thermostat, but don't know what the proper operating temperature should be.

Thanks in advance.

/ Engine Thermostat Temperature #2  
Mine is 185 deg. Should not be far from that.

/ Engine Thermostat Temperature
Thanks, I'll pop it on the stove with a thermometer and see where it pops open at.

/ Engine Thermostat Temperature #4  
Usually the temp rating is stamped on the thermostat.

/ Engine Thermostat Temperature
Yeah, thats what I thought/remembered. I checked the one I took out top to bottom and while there were a couple of numbers stamped on it, nothing that seemed like a temperature rating though.
I am realizing that I didnt' get out the magnifying glass, and its getting to the point that I do need to get them out for the finer details. Maybe I missed it. I'll have to check again.