Backhoe Backhoe won't move

/ Backhoe won't move #1  

kwbretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 485, John Deere 5425, & John Deere Skid Steer 333D
Well I found a new problem with my Case 580M backhoe, it won't move. Hydraulics work on the front end loader and the backhoe just no forward or reverse. It backed up about 20 feet then when I tried to go forward it wouldn't go anywhere. Had to use the backhoe to push it back under the shed and now reverse doesn't work. Any clues as to what could be wrong? It has been setting up for about 1 1/2 years. I just got it running yesterday, mice eat some wires.

Kenny.

/ Backhoe won't move #2  
Kenny first buy a new trans hydraulic filter then pull the old on off and see if it's sludged up inside if so pull the screen out of the hydraulic tank and clean it up as well . I can't think of any other reason it's not moving other than it's in neutral of not getting H. fluid. Oh one other thing does that machine have an electric clutch button on the loader control maybe mice were into those wires as well.

/ Backhoe won't move #3  
Are you 100% sure the driveshaft is connected? I've broke mine twice so far. It happens.

Did you inspect your hoses?

Do you have anything along your hose line that diverts or adjusts the pressure of your hydraulic pressure?

/ Backhoe won't move
The drive shaft is fine, I was under the backhoe several times today replacing two fuel lines. I didn't notice any hose issues. In the next couple of days I'm going to drain the transmission fluid clean the screen where ever it is then change the filter and fluid. I have to figure out where I can buy a filter and what fluid goes back in the transmission. Not sure which filter is the transmission filter, there are filters all over the place but I will assume it will be the one closest to the transmission.

/ Backhoe won't move #5  
Is it a hydrostatic? If so, after you replace the filters and fluid and it still won't move check the linkage to make sure it's connected, after that I would be checking pressures at the transmission for possible bad charge pump.

Randall

/ Backhoe won't move
It's not hydrostatics, it has a 4 speed shifter with a button on it that has to be pushed to change gears. Can anyone give me a part number for the transmission filter and what fluid goes in the transmission. I'm going to try and pick it up tomorrow.

/ Backhoe won't move #7  
It's not hydrostatics, it has a 4 speed shifter with a button on it that has to be pushed to change gears. Can anyone give me a part number for the transmission filter and what fluid goes in the transmission. I'm going to try and pick it up tomorrow.
IIRC (from one a friend had many moons ago), it has either a solenoid controlled wet clutch or a torque converter sitting in front of the transmission.
I think it was a torque converter.

Aaron Z

/ Backhoe won't move #8  
Lift the bucket and set the safety prop. Pop the hood. Lift the curtain at the back of the engine, or better yet, take it off. Looking at the top of the transmission, there is a valve block with 2 solenoids on either side of the valve block. This valve assembly controls forward/reverse. Make sure you're getting power/ground on either solenoid when checked in forward and reverse, ENGINE OFF, key on! Have also seen the snap ring break on the control valve in that valve block and keep it from engaging forward/reverse. Good luck.

/ Backhoe won't move
Thanks, I will check it out in a couple of days. I'm going to change the transmission fluid and filter first and see what happens then I'll check the solenoid so. Thanks for all the help.

/ Backhoe won't move #10  

My NH backhoe has a forward and reverse lever on the side of my steering wheel. It's gone out on me and nothing would happen until I replaced it. Took me awhile to figure that one out. There is a good chance that something similar exists in yours. I would think that if it's a bad filter or dirty fluid, it would still move, just slowly. Since it's not moving at all, it makes me think that something isn't activating, or is broken.

Napa and ABC auto have all the hydraulic filters that I've ever needed for both my NH and Case tractors. Bring in the old one, or just the numbers off of the side of it and they will get it in a day or two.