International Harvester 656 with FEL

/ International Harvester 656 with FEL #1  

Hoochy

Silver Member
Tractor
RK 55 SC, 1963 John Deere 1010RU, Branson 3510, 2x Ford 8n's
I have the opportunity to purchase an IH 656 with FEL. Asking those who know more about this tractor to fill me in on the good, the bad and your opinion. Hour meter shows 3400 hours but seller claim it has been overhauled recently. What I do know is the tractor runs good, as I have seen it working and the hydraulics qre excellent with no leaks and hold a load without dropping over a few days, which is good. I just dont know enought about this model to even make an offer. Asking price is 7,000.00.
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Also, will get serial number tomorrow, since he qlso has a Ford 600 that I want to look at. Have not finished the 8n and already getting into more trouble:eek:
Thanks,
Hoochy

/ International Harvester 656 with FEL #2  
Can you tell us more about the 656? Wide front? What kind of loader? Row crop or utility? Gas or Diesel?

I always thought they should have had a few more gears but we got along with five gears for many years on the farm with earlier Farmalls.

Never had a 656 but always heard they were a good solid tractor. they are certainly simple and easy to work on. If the engine runs good and transmission shifts easily you should be fine. The one thing I would try is to shift and try to get the lever between gears. Some of the older farmalls would get worn and you could lock up the gears if you didn't shift absolutely straight. Not a big deal - just pull the gear shift elver and reach down in with a small crowbar and pop them back into place - but slightly annoying.

/ International Harvester 656 with FEL
Wide front, loader is IH 2000, 6 cylinder gas. Will update tomorrow with serial # etc...
Thanks!
Hoochy

Last edited:
   / International Harvester 656 with FEL #4  
That price sounds a little high to me unless it's really in good shape. Rigs like that go for 4-6k around here pretty regularly, but they've seen some work.

One thing to know: those 6 cylinder gas tractors are THIRSTY. I think a 656 will drink about 5 gallons of gas doing an hour of PTO or draft work with a load. The loader on a tractor that size with 2wd is just that, a loader. It's alright at scooping manure or snow, but it's not gonna dig in virgin soil very well. That said, with loaded rears and some weight on the three point, you can probably have a decent lift capacity.

A friend of mine has that exact tractor and loader. His 82 year old dad uses it around the farm since it's the only thing with a loader. There's certainly better loader tractors out there, though, and tractors that don't use so much fuel getting work done

/ International Harvester 656 with FEL
Thanks motownbrowne. I did not realize it would use so much fuel. It is in really good shape and the only negative is one of the rear rims is starting to rust out where the valve stem come thru. Rears are loaded and probably will need rims worked on or replaced.

I'll more likely pass on this one.

/ International Harvester 656 with FEL #6  
For that kind of fuel consumption you are using the tractor at it's max. That might be pulling a 10' bush hog or a 12' disc. The best you might get is a couple to three gallons an hour.