Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Default hand crank cross-pin

The cross pin for the handcrank on the Farmall came loose, and fell into a black hole! So, I made a new one...

After asking over on ytmag.com, I found the proper length to be 1.5". I measured the cross-hole in the crank, and found it to be 0.375".

I took a piece of 0.5" stock, and chucked it up in the lathe. I turned it down to 0.385"; a bit oversize so it would have a tight fit, and hopefully never come out again. While on the lathe, I used a flat file to put a 45 degree chamfer on the end of the stock, so it would start easy into the hole in the crank.

After using a parting tool to cut the piece to 1.5", I chucked the piece up, and chamfered the other end also. Once done there, I used a press to fit the new cross-pin in the crank.

Presto, like new! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Default Re: hand crank cross-pin

The country fair season not that far away now [img]/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and I hope your putting the finishing touches on your pride an joy. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I wonder if the pin a hollow pin.

Thomas..NH [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Default Re: hand crank cross-pin

The pin definitely fell into a hollow void [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] The one that came loose was solid.

Fair season, parades, oh ya!

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif