hand crank cross-pin

/ hand crank cross-pin #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
The cross pin for the handcrank on the Farmall came loose, and fell into a black hole! So, I made a new one...

After asking over on ytmag.com, I found the proper length to be 1.5". I measured the cross-hole in the crank, and found it to be 0.375".

I took a piece of 0.5" stock, and chucked it up in the lathe. I turned it down to 0.385"; a bit oversize so it would have a tight fit, and hopefully never come out again. While on the lathe, I used a flat file to put a 45 degree chamfer on the end of the stock, so it would start easy into the hole in the crank.

After using a parting tool to cut the piece to 1.5", I chucked the piece up, and chamfered the other end also. Once done there, I used a press to fit the new cross-pin in the crank.

Presto, like new! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ hand crank cross-pin #2  
The country fair season not that far away now /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif and I hope your putting the finishing touches on your pride an joy. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I wonder if the pin a hollow pin.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ hand crank cross-pin
The pin definitely fell into a hollow void /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The one that came loose was solid.

Fair season, parades, oh ya!

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif