International 234 Overheating

/ International 234 Overheating #1  

CI234

Tractor
International 234
I am new to this site. We bought a house on about 10 acres a few years ago and I then bought my used International 234 tractor (~600 hours on it). It ran fine the first year or so and I could do any tasks required. Unfortunately, last year the light began to come on for overheating. The first time, it may have been in part due to the front grill getting clogged, but I still had problems after keeping it clean. I then decided to change the antifreeze; however, it did not help. If I run the tractor without any load on PTO then it will not overheat. If I use the 5 foot mower in medium to long grass or use other implements with fair amount of load then it is fine for about 20-30 minutes, then the overheat light comes on. I can turn off the PTO, open the hood, and turn down RPMs and the light will go back off after a few minutes. If I start working again, it is only good for about 5-10 minutes and the overheat light comes back on.

I have about 5-10 acres to mow - depends on if there are horses in back 5 acres or not. I am not the most mechanically inclined so appreciate answers that are as simple and clear as possible on things I can try to troubleshoot the problem. Thanks.

/ International 234 Overheating #2  
Does it have a thermostat in it? If it doesn't you need to put one in it. I would also suggest checking the water pump.

Bill

/ International 234 Overheating
Bill,

Thanks for the reply. The tractor does have a thermostat in it. Is there a way I can check whether the thermostat and the water pump are working?

Brian

/ International 234 Overheating #4  
Brian,
But, does the thermostat work? It is easier to just replace the thermostat. You should be able to find one at an auto parts store. Just take the old one with you. The specifications call for it to start to open between 177 - 183 degrees Fahrenheit, and fully open at 203 degrees. If you want an IH one, it is still available, amazingly. Part# SKU: 1273091C1, cost is 36.00, ouch! Gasket you can make from material, just use a little permatex. But, IH has that also: SKU: 1273088C1, cost is 6.75 ea. According to the parts manual you are going to need 2.

Bill

/ International 234 Overheating #5  
It's an 80's tractor. The radiator might need to be rodded out. Also, Not to insult your knowledge of operating, Are your blades sharp? Are you in the correct groundspeed for the load? Sometimes in heavy grass taking 3/4 of a full width cut will reduce the load on the cutter. Are you maintaining full PTO rpms?