IH 434 gears grinding when shifting

/ IH 434 gears grinding when shifting #1  

bmorelectric

Tractor
harvester international 434
My 1970's International Harvester is grinding gears while shifting. After I set the 7 inches pedal height and 7/8 inch free play how do I adjust the clutch itself? How to adjust the lever and is there any adjustments through the access hole? It is a 2 stag clutch. The clutch does work to shift and for the pto but I have to put the throttle down slow and slowly shift gears while gears grind as the engine slow down. I can press the clutch in while in gear and the tractor will stop. I changed the gear oil. Any help would be appreciated.

/ IH 434 gears grinding when shifting #3  
That age of tractor from IH used an unsynchronized sliding gear transmission. About all you can do is try to minimize shifts. Take off in the gear you need to be in. My 424 is the same way. Don't force it but quick firm shifts seem to work best for me. I leave throttle wide open, clutch, grab with a little grind.

/ IH 434 gears grinding when shifting
Grinding is happening when shifting from neutral to forward or reverse gears

/ IH 434 gears grinding when shifting #5  
Grinding is happening when shifting from neutral to forward or reverse gears
Is this a new problem or has the tractor been doing this since you got it? How long have you owned this tractor? How much experience do you have driving tractors of this vintage?

It has been happening alittle after I got it. I have owned it 2 years. First tractor.

/ IH 434 gears grinding when shifting #7  
It's common with this age. What it is is when the tractor is running with the clutch out its spinning the gears in the transmission. They keep spinning after the clutch is depressed for a few seconds. Try pressing the clutch in for a few seconds before trying to shift. This will give the transmission time to slow down.

It's a product of the sliding gear and no synchronization. As long as the PTO doesn't grind your clutch should be fine.

I just want to make sure the clutch is adjusted properly. I do not want to slip the motor /transmission, I was looking on how to adjust the clutch without major work being down. Thanks

/ IH 434 gears grinding when shifting #9  
Does the PTO grind going in? Adjusting the pedal should adjust the clutch. As a clutch wears it self adjust and moves the pedal. Then you reposition the pedal until the clutch is worn down and you have no more pedal adjustment. As far as specs it looks like you have those. As I don't.

PTO is not grinding goes smooth.