All hydraulic oil is NOT created equal!!

/ All hydraulic oil is NOT created equal!! #1  

southernbound

Bronze Member
Tractor
D530TC
Just wanted to let some folks like myself (not very experienced with tractor hydraulic oil) know that it is NOT all created equal reguardless of label specs!!
1st little history on my 1966 Diesel case 530 Torque converter Constuction King- I bought this used for 2000.00 in working (leaked everywhere) order.
The man I purchased it from said he got it off a local farmer and it barely moved. It just didnt really have the push power or power to push or pull itself outta a hole.
So..for 2300 I figured why not. He said he topped all fluids off with tractor store stuff..(cause label said for use where hy-tran is).
I drained fluid from everywhere once I seen it had no real power to wheels...noticed filters missing to torque converter...
replaced all filters and flushed all conpartments with diesel fuel.
Then bought napa 80/90 weight for differential
then purchased 80.00 case hy-tran for torque converter / transmission area.

Maybe I got lucky...But this tractor now has plenty of power.. Just a FYI...Buy the right fluid especially when it comes to these older tractors..My opinion, but well worth the 80.00 with some fluid left over. Thank god I didnt have to spit the machine..Ouch..my back hurts just thinking about that..haha

Attachments

• D 530 TC.jpg
    D 530 TC.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 607
   / All hydraulic oil is NOT created equal!! #2  
Just wanted to let some folks like myself (not very experienced with tractor hydraulic oil) know that it is NOT all created equal reguardless of label specs!!
1st little history on my 1966 Diesel case 530 Torque converter Constuction King- I bought this used for 2000.00 in working (leaked everywhere) order.
The man I purchased it from said he got it off a local farmer and it barely moved. It just didnt really have the push power or power to push or pull itself outta a hole.
So..for 2300 I figured why not. He said he topped all fluids off with tractor store stuff..(cause label said for use where hy-tran is).
I drained fluid from everywhere once I seen it had no real power to wheels...noticed filters missing to torque converter...
replaced all filters and flushed all conpartments with diesel fuel.
Then bought napa 80/90 weight for differential
then purchased 80.00 case hy-tran for torque converter / transmission area.

Maybe I got lucky...But this tractor now has plenty of power.. Just a FYI...Buy the right fluid especially when it comes to these older tractors..My opinion, but well worth the 80.00 with some fluid left over. Thank god I didnt have to spit the machine..Ouch..my back hurts just thinking about that..haha

No one can say what was in the unit, only that it was "topped off" with "tractor store stuff". Not much to go on regards comparisons.

with filters missing, one can assume there was little care of just what went into the sumps.

/ All hydraulic oil is NOT created equal!! #3  
No filters. Short sighted people who can not understand that cheaper today is more expensive tomorrow .

/ All hydraulic oil is NOT created equal!!
yeah..i was puking..a nice napa filter was 13.00..crazy how idiotic ppl can be..or lazy, either way..barf

agree..it was gold in color..seemed like hydraulic fluid not atf..but who knows

/ All hydraulic oil is NOT created equal!! #6  
Nice looking machine for the money. Good work on the fix.

Nice looking machine for the money. Good work on the fix.

thanks..I think I got very lucky on the price and timing...the guy I bought from fixed New hollands for a living outta his shop and stumbled on this somehow for free.. He knew nothing about case machinery and wanted to unload it. Regardless of the lack of filter situation and not knowing the oil in it at the time of purchase. I can definately say I'll never put anything other than Case fluid in Hy-tran area.. I'm shocked It doesnt have bad plates or worse.. IDK.. I'm new to this but for the little money extra WHY NOT...I use tractor sup stuff in the backhoe/loader stuff and it works great!! Just not in the area I needed it too. I can only go by what the guy said about topping it off with it from TS... but as cheap as the previous owners were..who the **** knows what they put in there..
I just know it actually pushes dirt now..lol

And thanks to Bukitcase and Rutwad I learned my pin size on my hoe bucket and picked up some cold rolled steel. This is a home machine and not commercial at all.. My toy/huge helper..lol . One day I'd love to restore her to her glory...but thats a long ways away..lol. This site is awesome and full of great info as I learn..I definately appreciate all comments and help..thx folks

/ All hydraulic oil is NOT created equal!! #9  
I used to work for a huge potato farm in the 90's & we ran Deere fluids (made by Shell) in all the equipment.

The local oil distributor in town convinced the owners to switch to Conoco oils & fluids - with buying over 1000 gallon of engine oil and probably 500 gallons a year hyd fluid, the savings would be pretty big.

The experiment lasted less than a year. Nothing ran or operated like it should. Wet brakes squealed and shuddered, powershift transmissions lost all smoothness, engines started using oil, etc.... The oil distributor was forced to refund all unused product. Back to Deere oil again, and THANKFULLY - the problems cleared up.

Correct - just because oil "meets a certain spec" DOES NOT MEAN it's the same thing!!!!

/ All hydraulic oil is NOT created equal!! #10  
Maybe I am a fool. I once caught a show on C Band about JD oils. I am convinced they are of the highest quality and Deere puts a lot of resourses into this area.

My friend was up last week and we got to changing a hydraulic filter and talking about oil. He works at a company with a commercial turf and landscaper division. Their main small engine mechanic insists that all oil come from just two suppliers. In other words, it's all the same and just a marketing game beyond that. I don't want to believe that, but who really knows any facts about anything anymore?

A short time ago, most would have been in agreement that VW was in EPA compliance! Seems you can't trust anything.