1943 Case SC Transmission Oil

/ 1943 Case SC Transmission Oil #1  

blsnelling

I'm looking to service the transmission on my 1943 Case SC. I don't know if it's normal, but it growls when under load, in any gear. When coasting it's quiet. The fluid level is a couple inches below full and is black.

With that in mind, what round be the best choice of gear lube? The manual calls for 90W. I've seen all of the following recommended: 90w, 80w-90, and 85w-140.

/ 1943 Case SC Transmission Oil #2  
I also have a 43 SC- I believe I used 90 weight but it has been 10+ years since I changed it.

Growling sounds like a loose bearing- hopefully it is just a little dry and filling it to the correct level will quiet it down but my opinion is that the 85-140 would give the best protection if the bearing was a little worn/loose.

/ 1943 Case SC Transmission Oil #3  
I don't know anything about a Case SC but I do know that additives in modern gear oils can have a detrimental affect on bronze bushings used in some old transmissions. If I was you, I would use a GL-1 80W-90 gear oil. I was able to order such an oil in a 5 gallon pail from a local fuel/oils distributor. I use it in the gear boxes in my old motorcycles and even in my 70's International. If you need more info let me know and I'll go down to the barn and check what is written on the pail.

/ 1943 Case SC Transmission Oil
Does anyone know if there are yellow metal concerns with this transmission?

/ 1943 Case SC Transmission Oil #6  
Case Hy-Tran is for Hydraulics and Transmition
Older tractors sisteem was seperate . So stay with 90w in your transmition .

/ 1943 Case SC Transmission Oil #7  
I also have a 43 SC- I believe I used 90 weight but it has been 10+ years since I changed it.

Growling sounds like a loose bearing- hopefully it is just a little dry and filling it to the correct level will quiet it down but my opinion is that the 85-140 would give the best protection if the bearing was a little worn/loose.

I agree with using the 85-140 in the transmission. The hydraulics used type A as I recall, would have to see what is the modern equivalent.

My dad had one of these years ago, this was our first tractor when we moved to the old farm. This tractor had a set of rear remotes that did a decent job running a winch for pulpwood hauling. Not sure of the year but one of the last I think.

One of the members here has a fully restored SC, he may chime in.