Case IH 255 with overheated motor.

/ Case IH 255 with overheated motor. #1  

BrokeRichard

Tractor
Kubota L3400 Case IH 255
Picked this tractor as a project to work on this winter. Severely overheated engine and missing radiator. 273 hours 4x4 and turf tires. Most of the parts I have found are from china. Anyone have any luck rebuilding Mitsubishi K3E diesels that have been run hot. Center piston is trashed. Will have to pull the motor to see how bad the cylinder looks. The tractor still ran before the head was removed but the it was filling the crankcase with coolant. Owner and the mechanic decided they didn't want to invest the time or money to try to fix it. I have found some running pull out K3E motors for $1500. Going to tear this one down to see if it is salvageable.

IMG_3585.JPG

Last edited:
   / Case IH 255 with overheated motor. #2  
I'm rebuilding a K3H out of a mistubishi MT250D actually.

I also own a international 254, all those tractors are so similar in conception.

I already took my engine appart, it is very easy. and I am in the process of splitting it now to change the clutch.

Look in the Mitsubishi forum, I started a thread there, with pictures. If you happen to have any questions, let me know !

I think my Mitsubishi has the same loader as yours !

/ Case IH 255 with overheated motor. #3  
the radiator might be hard to find, but I would look in salvage yards for a 244 / 254 / 255 international.

/ Case IH 255 with overheated motor.
I have found a Mitsubishi parts Tractor that has a radiator and some other pieces I could use. I believe it has the K3H motor. It had the same issue but the pistons are stuck in the block. It actually has a belly mower that would work nicely on my 255.

/ Case IH 255 with overheated motor. #5  
nice ! that must be the Mt250 if it had the k3h.

Does it have a 4x4 ?

I'm actively looking for the transmission shaft for the front wheels, my tractor had it removed because it was in the way when they installed the loader.

For the k3e, I think you can find all the parts at weaver compact tractor for cheaper than a rebuilt engine.

It'll be also easier to rebuild the engine on the tractor than splitting it to put the new engine.

The donor tractor is a 2wd. Have not decided to buy it yet. Going to see how bad mine is before getting anything else for it. Probably wont get to tear it down till next week.

/ Case IH 255 with overheated motor. #8  
those little mitsubishi blocs are very well made. Cylinders are cast iron, even the head is. pistons are aluminium, so anything should happen, they'll take it.

I'm sure you can just change the pistons, hone the cylinders and put new gaskets on it, and it'll run.

Just make sure your engine oil pump works, it might be the reason this tractor failed.

/ Case IH 255 with overheated motor. #9  
those little mitsubishi blocs are very well made. Cylinders are cast iron, even the head is. pistons are aluminium, so anything should happen, they'll take it.

I'm sure you can just change the pistons, hone the cylinders and put new gaskets on it, and it'll run.

Just make sure your engine oil pump works, it might be the reason this tractor failed.

Got a chance to pull the head today. Only the center cylinder has aluminum stuck to the cylinder walls. one and three look decent but two has stuck rings. Will have to pull the pistons to really know how bad the pistons are mucked up. The cylinders look good with no ring ridge. Just some aluminum in #2.

Attachments

• IMG_3620.JPG
    IMG_3620.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3613.JPG
    IMG_3613.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 313
  • IMG_3618.JPG
    IMG_3618.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 213