International 674 hydraulic light comes on

/ International 674 hydraulic light comes on #1  

domains

Silver Member
HI everyone,New to me 1977 with 2500 hours on it,The gearbox light comes off once you rev it to about 1400rpm. hydraulic dipstick says full. everything works fine. Should I worry or its made that way?

Last edited:
   / International 674 hydraulic light comes on
After hours of googling I found a thread talking about me model, they discontiued the light system to stop complaints of low transmission lube oil pressure when the tractor was idling

The light your talking about is not a hydraulic pressure light for the lift system. It is a tramnsmission lube pressure light It has absoluly nothing to do with the hydraulic system . It turns out that a very low pressure on that system didnot seem to matter as long as it pumped a steady volume. It has its own pump with a filter screen attached to it and its own piping. The sending unit was a 8 # unit where the lube system will work fine with 4-6 lbs at lower rpms they discontiued the light system to stop complaints of low transmission lube oil pressure when the tractor was idling.

Seems to be normal

/ International 674 hydraulic light comes on #3  
Remember that PTO lever must be in full disengage or full engage to get lube to your gearbox ! Initial engage and NO lube to the gearbox !

/ International 674 hydraulic light comes on
Remember that PTO lever must be in full disengage or full engage to get lube to your gearbox ! Initial engage and NO lube to the gearbox !

PTO is in full engage im blowing snow with it,

Last edited:
   / International 674 hydraulic light comes on #5  
Hi, Thanks for your comments here. I have a 674 where the transmission light comes on every 30 to 45 minutes with continual use. Have just put a electric pressure gauge on it and it reads around 6psi at low revs , so you have eased my mind that something major was wrong. Thanks for the advice, Ashley

/ International 674 hydraulic light comes on #6  
As a dealer with history of that unit the light should not be on! I wonder if you have changed the fluids and filter and if they are the right products for the tractor. The oil that was used for those was about 10 to 15 weight and maybe somebody had used the after-market 30 weight oils previously starving the system so the pump might be a little weak or the filter might be plugging.

/ International 674 hydraulic light comes on #7  
As a dealer with history of that unit the light should not be on! I wonder if you have changed the fluids and filter and if they are the right products for the tractor. The oil that was used for those was about 10 to 15 weight and maybe somebody had used the after-market 30 weight oils previously starving the system so the pump might be a little weak or the filter might be plugging.
Thanks for your reply. I feel the problem has been solved. First
ly I changed the oil and there was only a third of the amount in the transmission . I was taking the marks on the dipstick that has crosses on it for the inch and a half from the bottom as being full when it was on the top cross, unfortunately that was incorrect. The oil has to come up about 4 inches on the dipstick when the right amount of oil is replaced in the transmission. I bought a new sender unit and replaced the old unit and we also teed off the line and put an electric oil pressure gauge in the dash which shows the pressure between 5 and 10 psi now when the tractor is being used at 1500rpm. Now i know the pump is actually working. Used tractor all weekend shifting hay and all worked very well. Thanks again for your valued reply.