580M Backhoe Stabilizer issues

/ 580M Backhoe Stabilizer issues #1  

kwbretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 485, John Deere 5425, & John Deere Skid Steer 333D
I have a 2002 580M Backhoe that blew the seals on both stabilizers. I've been working for several days now trying to get the pins out so I can bring the cylinders to be rebuilt but nothing seem to be working. I've tried beating, heating, soaking with PB Blaster. Any insite in how to get these pins out would be most appreciated.

/ 580M Backhoe Stabilizer issues #2  
I had the same issue with an old backhoe. I ended up having to take a grinder with a cutting wheel and cut it on both sides of the cylinder between the cylinder and the mounting bracket. Although they were hardened pins, they had deformed just enough that it wasn't coming out no matter how big the hammer or how strong the porta power, heat or no heat.

It took a while with the grinder and a few cutting wheels, but once it was cut and got the cylinder out, the rest of the pieces of the pin just needed a little grinding and they fell right out. I wish now I would have started cutting them sooner. I wasted a lot of time trying to McGyver them out. I bought hardened steel and made my own pins to replace them.

Good Luck with it.

Good luck with it.

/ 580M Backhoe Stabilizer issues
Thanks for your response, I hadn't thought about cutting the pins. That may have to be the way I'll have to go also. But think I'll they heating again one more time. Heating the stabilizer won't hurt it will it, it looks like cast.

/ 580M Backhoe Stabilizer issues #4  
I don't think the heat will hurt it, but if you beat on it while it's hot, you could bend/deform something you don't want to. Go slow with a cut cutting disk and you'll be back to work a lot sooner. Your mileage may vary.

/ 580M Backhoe Stabilizer issues #5  
Leave them on the backhoe just take the cap off the gland pull the rod and take them in .
Cylinder repair 012.jpg
Cylinder repair 013.jpg
Cylinder repair 018.jpg
Some times I use the hydraulics to push the rod out in this case I just pulled it out.
Cylinder repair 017.jpg

That's the pin I can't get out.

/ 580M Backhoe Stabilizer issues #7  
Is it hanging up on a grove warn from the cylinder rod if so try turning it as you hammer it . There's a time when a cutting torch or zip blade is necessary to get the job done I found that out after spending 3 days trying to get a pin out once.

Update. I took your advice & cut the pins to get the cylinders off. Will drop off the cylinders at the mechanic shop tomorrow, said it will take 2 to 3 weeks to rebuild. I'm still not able to get the pins out after removing the cylinders. Just my luck. I even wedged the drop in its location & drove a chisel in the gap created by cutting but still no go. I need some ideas.

One more question. I drained the hydraulic fluid & changed the filter. Is there a screen or something that needs to be cleaned while the fluid is out?

Finally got the pins out. After cutting the pins to get the cylinders off I had to blow a hole through the remaining 4 pieces of pins & beat like crazy to drive them out. Have the rebuilt cylinders installed & backhoe back in service.
Thanks for the tips.