Case 580M wiring

/ Case 580M wiring #1  

outlawsix

Tractor
Yanmar 240, Yanmar 240D, Cub Cadet 7265/Mahindra 2615, John Deere 4600 with 460 loader
I picked up a Case 580M earlier this week. it has been sitting for 3 years. So getting it to my place was a chore but now that it's here ive been going through it. Drained the hyd tank, fuel tank, changed engine oil and filter. Put a hose from the fuel pump to a can filled with Diesel. Got it all primed etc. Did remove 1 injector and took it apart. Put it in a bucket of carb cleaner to soak overnight. Couldn't even see the hole in the injector, so not sure if it is so small I cant see it or it is plugged off solid.

So anyway can not get it to turn over with the key. Can get it to turn over using a wire that the previous shad tree mechanic jury rigged. I took side consul apart this evening and its a mess. For some reason someone cut the wiring harness off and put slip on fittings on the wires, I don't even recall how many wires right now but there were two terminals on the ignition switch with nothing connected to them. Then found a red and black large gauge wire(10 gauge maybe) that had been cut and nothing attached to them. Waiting on my manuals to come in. But in the mean time does anyone have a wiring harness picture for the ignition module? Or even a picture of what colored wires go to each terminal on the switch?

When I turn the key I can hear the solenoid click, so getting power to at least that point. I replaced each fuse today and took each relay off, cleaned it and terminals and used di-electric grease on them. I know it can run, yes I used either, not wise but it will run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

/ Case 580M wiring
An update, took side consul off and figured some things out. The large gauge wire went to one of the two power plug ins on right fender. Still no idea why the original ignition harness was cut. I think still missing a wire but cant find the missing wires to go to ignition coil. So if anyone can tell me how many wires go to the ignition switch as well as what colors go where id really appreciate it.

Was under the backhoe looking for a fuel line copper washer I dropped and when I got up apparently I had bumped some wires and they fell. The wires were black and gray inside the plastic sheathing. was around it. So anyone know what gray and black on right side go to? They were chewed all up, so rodents got to it. I looked all over, under etc and couldn't find anything. Not sure if this is why engine would run but missing wires sure cant be a good thing.

/ Case 580M wiring #3  
"cant find the missing wires to go to ignition coil" - huh?? Isn't that a diesel? Also, dunno about the larger engined 580M but some injectors use a multiple hole pattern that's designed for more efficient atomization and the holes are maybe 10-15 thousanths if that.

I did a quick search for case 580M injector orifice size, came up with squat - but this

http://airflowperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/INJECTOR-NOZZLES.pdf

tells me that an actual MANUAL wouldn't be a bad idea - note the "inch pounds" specs on the injectors in that pdf, as well as the warning NOT to put anything sharp in the holes...

My old 580B has a manual fuel shutoff (like a choke cable) but I would think a newer one would have a fuel shutoff solenoid - those won't run unless the solenoid has power so if that's the case, wiring/switch/solenoid ALL must be good or NO FUEL - they might ALSO have a MANUAL shutoff in case the solenoid fails - killing fuel is the ONLY way to stop a diesel (or killing the air intake, of course :=)

Sorry I can't help more, this sounds like a serious "project"... Steve

/ Case 580M wiring
So sorry, meant to type starter solenoid, no idea why I would type ignition coil. There is a grounding strap on one of the bolts that mounts the starter to the bell housing. Then the hot wire to a bolt on far right side, along with another wire that goes back into the frame up along the right side. No idea what it ties into since it is all encased in the black plastic sheating. A white wire is attached to screw on bottom of solenoid, and a blue wire comes out of the starter and attaches to bolt on left side of solenoid. Thought there was suppose to be a wire from starter to the alternator, but no such wire. In fact there is an exposed stud on right side of alternator that has nothing attached to it. To say someone jacked with the wiring is an understatement.

There is indeed an electronic shut off valve that does function, so at least some of the power is getting to where it needs to get to. On the Cub Cadet 7265 I once owned it too had an electronic fuel shut off solenoid. I wanted back up so rigged a manual one as well onto the governor housing.

It is indeed a project Sir. But like many things its one step at a time. So wish anyone in my area had one to look at. Im very much visual so that would help me immensely.

/ Case 580M wiring #5  
Can't help you with visuals, but this

Case 58sr 59sr 695sr 58+ Super R Series 3 Backhoe Loader Service Manual CD | eBay

is a no-brainer to me - Hopefully I CAN help with not getting screwed; notice that this manual on CD states that it's "bookmarked and SEARCHABLE"? - if you look for CD manuals (MUCH cheaper, + you can print out and smear with grease as many times as you want, the original is still CLEAN :D

Take it from me, you do NOT want to "price shop" these CD's without making DANG sure the one you order is SEARCHABLE - just saying "printable" isn't enough, most of those are just PICTURES of the pages of an original manual.

In order to be SEARCHABLE, those pages need to be scanned AND "OCR'd" - stands for Optical Character Recognition. That process changes all those PICTURES of words to something a computer can actually FIND - so you can search on the word "solenoid" and the computer will find EVERY instance of that word. From THAT perspective, the CD manuals kick the crap outa the $100+ books (which I ALSO have)

I've not bought from THAT particular seller (the one I got mine from isn't advertising anymore), but I'm attaching a couple page examples from the searchable CD I have on the 580B, so you can see if that level of info would be helpful to your "visual brain" - mine tends to work that way too (when it works at all :laughing:)

Remember, these are for a 580B, so I doubt any of the info would be directly useful to you - but $15 for the CD I linked should... Steve

Attachments

• 580B-1.JPG
    580B-1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,078
  • 580B-2.JPG
    580B-2.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 11,689
  • 580B-3.JPG
    580B-3.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,558
  • 580B-4.JPG
    580B-4.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 20,504
   / Case 580M wiring #6  
   / Case 580M wiring
Unfortunately my cds came today. Cant search them, would have been nice. And to top it off, no wiring diagrams. However it did give me some helpful info. As in position of the starter relay. Also must be in neutral to start on the column. So will give that a shot tomorrow. Also took the fuel shut off solenoid off today. I think its shot. Reason is the plunger is not locked extended like I was expecting. It would easily extend or retract by tilting it. Did apply power and nothing happened, grounded it out on the engine. So ordered one of those. On the starter switch I have only 4 wires. Would any of you be so kind as to tell me how many wires on on your starter switch also what colors are plugged into what please. There is one terminal with nothing attached to it, the bottom terminal.

For all that have read along with this adventure as well as given suggestions, I truly appreciate it! Thank you.

/ Case 580M wiring
Oops, just noticed that manual I linked is NOT for the "M" - only SERVICE manual I found that is, does NOT say it's SEARCHABLE. I questioned the seller of the correct manual, should hear back before long and will post back when I hear. Link -

Case 58M Turbo 58 Super M 58 Super M+59 Super M Series 2 Service Shop Manual

...Steve

im ready to pull the trigger on the service manual you provided a link for Sir. Searchable would be so nice, but either way I do need a good service manual. Had hoped the 2 CD's I ordered would have had one in it, but alas there was none. There is some good info, that I will hunt down tomorrow, relays etc, but either way I do indeed need a service manual. Once you hear from the seller on the searchable please let me know. Thank you again Sir.

/ Case 580M wiring #9  
You'll be the SECOND to know; but not by long :laughing: - sorry you got sucked into that, I get the impression there's several people on ebay who took the easy way out (no OCR) and STILL paid for their scanner many times over. Don't think much has changed over the centuries, "caveat emptor" isn't a NEW phrase.

Wish I could help on your immediate wiring, but besides being a completely different model/year, mine's been butchered a bit too - just not as BAD as yours. I start mine with a semi-permanently attached remote starter switch and a screwdriver, THEN turn the key on so (some of) the gauges work. Before I take THAT job on tho, there's 7 or 8 hydraulic cylinders that need kits. Already did swings and stabilizers, one of the loader lifts and one of the curls. Guess that leaves 7 including the loader bucket tilt compensator cylinder.

Even so, this is ANOTHER "tool" they'll need to pry outa my cold dead fingers :thumbsup:

Anyway, soon as I hear YOU'LL hear... Steve

/ Case 580M wiring #10  
Bad news I'm afraid - from the seller -
"New message from: sharpex11 (224Turquoise Star)
You can not use the search function but it is organized in chapters"

I guess if you're desperate that one might be OK, but I clicked on some of the pages and the wiring ones seem a little blurry. Maybe the actual thing will let you expand enough to read? Think I paid around $20 for mine and they're not the sharpest, but expanding the pages works OK.

Wish I had better news for you... Steve