Case 530 boom question

/ Case 530 boom question #1  

Andy4802

Tractor
Case
Hey all,

Looking at a well used Case 530 backhoe (around 1960)... it's seen better days but I think the owner would let it go pretty cheap. it does run and shift well... everything is functional but the boom doesn't stop when you come off the controls... it will continue to swing in the direction it was going. Obviously not ideal... how tough of a fix would that be?

I am new to backhoes... getting my feet wet with the Massey 270 on my new to me hobby farm. Would appreciate any insight on how to fix this old Case. Thanks

/ Case 530 boom question #2  
I'll assume it's a foot swing model. If it has set out, or not been used in a while, those foot controls can get sticky, and not return the valve to center properly, to stop the swing action. Usually a good oiling of the control linkage will cure that. If you try it again, before you purchase, you can feather the right pedal, to get it to come back to center on the valve, and stop the swing.

If it is boomed up, in close, and empty, just feathering the foot control to swing is all it needs. Keeping both feet on the controls, and getting used to the pedals position, to get the control valve centered to stop the swing takes a bit to get used to. And, when digging, it works a lot smoother with any hoe, to do 2-3 functions at once to smooth the cycle out, instead of slamming each function, when running higher RPM's.