1967 Case 580CK Diesel : Which Antifreeze Coolant ?

/ 1967 Case 580CK Diesel : Which Antifreeze Coolant ? #1  

Frankdozer

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Case 580CK Backhoe / Loader
My 1967 Case 580 CK with a Diesel engine is low on antifreeze. I don稚 have a clue on what to use to top it off and the local auto parts stores know less than I do. They carry all the brands out there.... lots of them 50/50 premixed. Does anyone recommend a certain brand? Does it need special antifreeze with certain requirements?
Thanks,
Frank

/ 1967 Case 580CK Diesel : Which Antifreeze Coolant ? #2  
Back in '67, doubt they had a specialty anti-freeze like today, for aluminum components. Although, about anything I've seen on the shelf is good for the newer engines. I'd say any anti-freeze will work. 50/50 would probably be the simplest, unless you have some jugs of distilled water there a home, to mix with the 100%, to prevent mineral buildup.

I pretty much use "basic" anti-freeze from TSC, or Rural King, in all of my tractors, as they are all pre-'79, and cut 50/50 with distilled water.

/ 1967 Case 580CK Diesel : Which Antifreeze Coolant ?
I called a Case Dealer today. He told me that in my Diesel engine only use antifreeze with DCA / SCA. Diesel Coolant Additive / Supplemental Coolant Additive. Never use regular auto antifreeze. He said the Case had cylinder sleeves and eventually regular antifreeze could float the sleeves and destroy the engine. So I went to the local Fleet Pride Truck Parts Store and they recommended Primatech PTAF-2301R 50/50 mix 631442 Red. $11.06 for a gallon. Strictly for Diesel engines.

Last edited:
   / 1967 Case 580CK Diesel : Which Antifreeze Coolant ? #4  
Well. you got me there. I knew about cavitation damaging liners, but that had more to do with keeping the cooling system full, and not having a pocket of air trapped in the block.

I did check the label on the TSC brand coolant, and it does say for all engines, farm equipment, and trucks. Didn't look at the fine print on the back, for the DCA/SCA additive. Guess that what happens when one assumes. We're never too old to learn something new, and pays to read the fine print.

/ 1967 Case 580CK Diesel : Which Antifreeze Coolant ? #5  
Just out of curiosity I looked in my Case 580D service manual regarding coolant (mine has a Cummins BT4 retrofit rather than the Case 207 diesel). Service Manual specifies “mix an ethylene glycol coolant with water for the lowest outside temperature” no special antifreeze type is listed

/ 1967 Case 580CK Diesel : Which Antifreeze Coolant ?
What year is your 580D and does it have the piston sleeves?

/ 1967 Case 580CK Diesel : Which Antifreeze Coolant ? #7  
1985 iirc-I would have to look in the service manual but I think the Cummins bt-4 is sleeved