Case ih 885xl lost all hydraulic, steering etc

/ Case ih 885xl lost all hydraulic, steering etc #1  

crazymm

Tractor
case ih 885xl 1988
Hello.
My dad was using the tractor with a snowblower on it and suddenly there was a grinding noise or as he says it was like the noise off a lose chain and after that he lost all hydraulics and steering. Is it the hydraulic pump that has died (what i think) or can it be something else? There is no leaks as we can see. Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks
John-Egil

Sorry for my bad english i am from Norway ;)

/ Case ih 885xl lost all hydraulic, steering etc #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum John. We are glad that you joined.

Sorry, I can not help with that question but some one on here will be able to help.

/ Case ih 885xl lost all hydraulic, steering etc
Got a tip that if the pto shaft is broken then i will lose all hydraulics. Is this correct ?

Last edited:
I did try the pto today and its not working. had a small noise when i had the tractor in neutral and lett the clutch out.(noise stopped after 10sec)

/ Case ih 885xl lost all hydraulic, steering etc #5  
I believe you took the pto splines out of the pressure plate. The tractor will need to be split and often the clutch disc and throwout bearing are changed at the same time.

Thanks for the reply. i also learned that the pto needs pressure from the pump to engage so it can be the pump that is broken. I just have to start wrenching to find out i guess. Now i just have to get the tractor home, will be a pain since its hard as h... to steer when the pump isn't working :(

and yes if i have to split the tractor i will change the clutch and all :)

Started to drain the oil and there was pieces of gears coming out of the gearbox so i think the problem is in there

/ Case ih 885xl lost all hydraulic, steering etc #9  
G'day I have seen some of those split the drive gear on the hyd pump not sure why they do it as the pumps have been okay

Jon

/ Case ih 885xl lost all hydraulic, steering etc #10  
I'll guess on the splines or the 3 rivets holding the IPTO drive in the clutch let go. No IPTO, no hydraulics.

Split tractor to repair if that is the case.