IH 454 Drive Problem

/ IH 454 Drive Problem #1  

TonyMaxx

Tractor
International 454
Hi All,

I took delivery of my 454 on Saturday, and we set to doing a heap of work which would have taken me hours manually in a very short time. I love my new (old) tractor.

Shortly before encountering problems we found how to select high range in the range transmission (moving the shift lever towards you and down).

I set off up one of my paddocks at a speed that will eventually be great for slashing.

Then came the problem.

I lined it up to take another scoop of rubbish with the front end loader, selected low range forwards again and the tractor does nothing now but crawl along.

It's the same in reverse, nothing but a slow walking pace in both forwards and reverse low range. Forwards high range I can't get any forward motion.

The hydraulics for the loader still work fine, and the 3PL works fine, I haven't checked to see if the PTO shaft is functioning or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the issue could be, could something be stuck somewhere? What should I be looking for?

I am hoping it is not a clutch problem although it looks as though clutch kits can be had for a reasonable price and the clutch is supposedly only a few hours work for a tractor mechanic (I wouldn't attempt a split at this stage I don't have the tools or supports to support a split tractor).

The range selector and the gear selector are going through their correct motions but I'm not able to move beyond a crawl.