IH 444 leaking oil out of brake dust boot

/ IH 444 leaking oil out of brake dust boot #1  

fourwheelinj1

Tractor
International Super A, 444,Super M, 656
We have a 444 that my family has owned since new. It is a gas model with power steering. Its our main most versatile tractor. My dad changed all the fluids in it recently and now it has developed a few hydraulic leaks. The worst one is coming out of the brake pedal dust boot on the right hand side. We bought a repair manual off ebay but my dad said its practically worthless with almost no pics/diagrams and very hard to read. We pulled the right rear wheel and the fender to get good access to the brake drum. Our mechanic came over and pulled the brakes off but now there is a large metal plate with 5 or 6 bolts holding it on it. They removed the bolts but can't get the plate off. The mechanic called another mechanic he know and that guy said you have to access the seal from the inside of the hydraulic reservoir area under the seat. That seems crazy to me. Am i missing something here? Should the plate behind the brake drum come off and then the shaft seal should be right there? Also any tips for locating a good repair manual?

/ IH 444 leaking oil out of brake dust boot #2  
Ok.....under that "plate" is a leak-off hole that must be open for oil to leak off.
That "plate" is a bearinghousing that can be removed only after you have removed the hydraulic housing and the pto shaft and the big bullgear inside

/ IH 444 leaking oil out of brake dust boot #3  
Sounds like the bull pinion shaft seal is leaking. Here is an exploded view, from Case/IH: Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts #14 is the seal. Definitely check the condition of the ball bearing #10.

From the looks of the exploded view, you will need to get into the differential. Looks like the bearing cage needs to be unbolted from the inside, to get to the seal, and bull pinion bearing. The seal looks to be about $16, and bearing nearly $79. I checked NAPA to see if the bearing might be a little less, but it's nearly double Case/IH's price.