495 Case Hydraulic lift and pumo

/ 495 Case Hydraulic lift and pumo #1  

RedHornet

Tractor
495 Case IH
I have a one owner 1991 495 Case IH 2 wheel and it is a 900 hour tractor. Since new it has been through 4 hydraulic pumps and this time I took it on myself. I have cleaned the spool, valves and reassembled. The pumps always whine before they go Down, is this a common Case issue. I see dozens of hydraulic pumps on the web and wondered if this is the pump again or something I知 overlooking. It won稚 lift the hitch and that was the issue. The tractor has run great other than the pumps continuing to be a nuisance. After almost 30 years (27) of owning this tractor I am about to give up...

Any ideas?

RedHornet

Last edited:
   / 495 Case Hydraulic lift and pumo #2  
Check you hydraulic filter for grindingpast from your brakes and if that fikter iz assy correctly ?

/ 495 Case Hydraulic lift and pumo
Yes, it’s all been gone through.

New filter, pulled the pump and cleaned, new Case fluid, checked all valves and springs, new o rings and reset. The brakes are working and you can feel the steering trying to, though no lift on the rear.

/ 495 Case Hydraulic lift and pumo #4  
Priority valve stuck in open posision. That is the valve at the MCV from the bottom with the plug ....spring and the spool.
Remove and cleem and polish that valve ....most go in free.

It slipped right in with no friction and this is the second valve body assembly. The old Spool was very sticky and hung.

I will try it again as that’s easier than replacing the entire pump.

Keep’em coming!

I haven’t had a chance to pull the valve yet as I had to be out of town. Hopefully Sunday I can polish it. I am skeptical though.

Thank you for asking!

/ 495 Case Hydraulic lift and pumo #8  
If valve is stuck inside remover it with a 8mm rawbolt with an eye and then lever it out. Polish the valve and reassemble

The valve was not the issue. I removed it, polished it and it slipped right in as well as removed easily. I have two valve bodies and tried both valves. I ordered a new Hydraulic Pump and we are going that route. Obviously the Case IH pumps are not that durable as they are all over the Internet for sale. This will be the fifth pump in this tractor.

I replaced the hydraulic pump, polished the valve and cleaned every valve with buffing rouge. They are smooth and thenew pump works the steering and lift well. The PTO is now locked in though. More to figure out...