David Brown 990 questions - right place??

/ David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I have been using my neighbour's 990 David Brown for a few hours - no DB experience before this. It has a power steering leak that appears to be at the top of the steering shaft just below the steering wheel. He says he had the seal replaced at the lower end of the shaft in the spring but it only stopped the leak for about 2 weeks.
So, a few really "newbie" questions:
1 - is the PS pump at the lower end of the steering shaft?
2 - is there supposed to be a seal for the shaft near the top?
3 - does anyone have a picture or parts manaul sketch that shows what is in the box at the bottom of the shaft?

Any advice on wht to look for if "we" decide to tackle the repair of this leak ourselves.

Thanks
Bob

/ David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #2  
I suspect if he replaced the lower seal, then he will need to replace the one in the steering column,try this site,they are very helpful,maybe somebody can even send you the page-sketch you are looking for antique tractors

/ David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #3  
Bob......Call Lloyd Wirt @ 330- 264- 1867 @ Wirt tractor sales........They sold case/ David Brown..........I worked there in the late 80's...........Lloyd knows more than david brown knew about those old tractors......he and his dad sold them new............Great to deal with.........he's in Ohio........eastern time zone...........M-F 8 am-5pm If I remember right............Tom

/ David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #4  
I will tell you one thing, David Brown tractors are unlike any other tractor you might have seen or worked on before. So take almost everything you know and throw it away. Get a good manual for the 990 and take your time and you should be ok. We have a 990 that I am hoping to get fixed up the rest of the way this winter so that she will be more useful.

/ David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I suspect if he replaced the lower seal, then he will need to replace the one in the steering column,try this site,they are very helpful,maybe somebody can even send you the page-sketch you are looking for antique tractors )</font>

For some reason this post just made me feel old as i remember my grandpas david brown tractor on the farm real well. Man at the time it seemed enormous to me..........now its nothing compared with the 8400 and 9400 series john deeres I run at work LOL............

Amazing how time and size are distorted when you are a child..

/ David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #6  
I got to drive a 9400 series the other day. I was at a farm I dove hunt on every year, known them forever and he had to move everything down the road about 10 miles (combine, tractor and grain wagon, grain truck and tool truck). Anyway being in the right place at the right time I got to drive the 9400 down the road to the next field. Talk about something with absolutely no rear view at all but it was like a 1500 bushel wagon or something.

/ David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #7  
I have a few pics I can share..........first one is in the 9200 articulate with our field cultivator and the crusher on the back........

Attachments

• 507019-125-252_IMG.jpg
    507019-125-252_IMG.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 360
   / David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #8  
Next one is me in the 9200...........

Attachments

• 507021-125-251_IMG.jpg
    507021-125-251_IMG.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 366
   / David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #9  
Me hauling loads in the 8300..............

Attachments

• 507022-112-120_IMG.jpg
    507022-112-120_IMG.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 308
   / David Brown 990 questions - right place?? #10  
The old case IH pushing it up.........

Attachments

• 507023-112-125_IMG.jpg
    507023-112-125_IMG.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 472