Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Wheel Horse 522xi

Default David Brown 990 questions - right place??

I have been using my neighbour's 990 David Brown for a few hours - no DB experience before this. It has a power steering leak that appears to be at the top of the steering shaft just below the steering wheel. He says he had the seal replaced at the lower end of the shaft in the spring but it only stopped the leak for about 2 weeks.
    So, a few really "newbie" questions:
    1 - is the PS pump at the lower end of the steering shaft?
    2 - is there supposed to be a seal for the shaft near the top?
    3 - does anyone have a picture or parts manaul sketch that shows what is in the box at the bottom of the shaft?

Any advice on wht to look for if "we" decide to tackle the repair of this leak ourselves.

Thanks
    Bob

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX 5000

Default Re: David Brown 990 questions - right place??

I suspect if he replaced the lower seal, then he will need to replace the one in the steering column,try this site,they are very helpful,maybe somebody can even send you the page-sketch you are looking for antique tractors

Platinum Member

Bob......Call Lloyd Wirt @ 330- 264- 1867 @ Wirt tractor sales........They sold case/ David Brown..........I worked there in the late 80's...........Lloyd knows more than david brown knew about those old tractors......he and his dad sold them new............Great to deal with.........he's in Ohio........eastern time zone...........M-F 8 am-5pm If I remember right............Tom

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

I will tell you one thing, David Brown tractors are unlike any other tractor you might have seen or worked on before. So take almost everything you know and throw it away. Get a good manual for the 990 and take your time and you should be ok. We have a 990 that I am hoping to get fixed up the rest of the way this winter so that she will be more useful.

Tractor
    2004 BX 1500

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I suspect if he replaced the lower seal, then he will need to replace the one in the steering column,try this site,they are very helpful,maybe somebody can even send you the page-sketch you are looking for antique tractors )</font>

For some reason this post just made me feel old as i remember my grandpas david brown tractor on the farm real well. Man at the time it seemed enormous to me..........now its nothing compared with the 8400 and 9400 series john deeres I run at work LOL............

Amazing how time and size are distorted when you are a child..

Tractor
    Ford 3910

I got to drive a 9400 series the other day. I was at a farm I dove hunt on every year, known them forever and he had to move everything down the road about 10 miles (combine, tractor and grain wagon, grain truck and tool truck). Anyway being in the right place at the right time I got to drive the 9400 down the road to the next field. Talk about something with absolutely no rear view at all but it was like a 1500 bushel wagon or something.

Tractor
    2004 BX 1500

I have a few pics I can share..........first one is in the 9200 articulate with our field cultivator and the crusher on the back........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    2004 BX 1500

Next one is me in the 9200...........

Tractor
    2004 BX 1500

Me hauling loads in the 8300..............

Tractor
    2004 BX 1500

The old case IH pushing it up.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast