4WD problem Case IH 844

/ 4WD problem Case IH 844 #1  

vinny

I have an issue with my 1993 case international 844xl. Apart from the engine it is very like the 956XL. First of all could some one explain how the rocker switch for the 4WD works on the dash. Is it Hydraulic or electrical. If the switch is engaged and the front wheels do not turn what could be the problem. The drive shaft which is in the centre seems to turn even when the switch for the 4wd is turned off.

/ 4WD problem Case IH 844 #2  
The drive shaft turns because it is connected to the front tires. The switch I assume operates a clutch pack in the tranny. We have a 584 4wd and it has a manual hand lever for the 4wd. If the load is too high on the front axle this clutch slips.

I can't help ya on the switch.

/ 4WD problem Case IH 844 #3  
Try checking the condition of the couplers at each end of the prop shaft. There is no UV joint on these machine. If slap has developed on he axle king pin, it is likely the couplers have worn off their splines. The couplers are designed to be a replaceable parts and are not too expensive.
However the prop shaft is a quite dear to replace. If this is the problem you should consider replacing the bushes on the king pin to reduce the slap and allow the prop shaft to run in line with the transfer box out put shaft.

Hope this helps you.