buying IH 606

/ buying IH 606 #1  

robert1

Tractor
IH 574
Thinking about buying a ih 606 is there a downside to buying this tractor.

/ buying IH 606 #2  
Well, it is at least 38 years old. There weren't a lot of them made. Two whel drive only. Old IH's make a ton of power with great lugging power, but will use fuel. Diesels are a little difficult to start in cold weather. I love the old IH's and this is a decent model although not highly sought after by collectors and tractor nuts unlike a 656 or 666.

What kind of condition is it in at this point?

What do you plan to do with it?

If it meets your needs and you think that you can handle the maintenance, then it may be the perfect tractor for you...

/ buying IH 606 #3  
I'd look into the 86 series. Most of the problems were ironed out by then.
I'd taker her around the block and see if that's what you really want. I've used a neighbors and foun it difficult to shift and cumbersom. Not a big deal if used strictly for row crop, but a pia for the hayfield/utility use.

/ buying IH 606 #4  
If gas they are very thirsty /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Ben

/ buying IH 606 #5  
So Robert, what did you do?

/ buying IH 606
THe seller sold it 4 hours before I showed up!!!!

/ buying IH 606 #7  
bummer!

There are a lot of other tractors out there. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

/ buying IH 606 #8  
The "86 series" were all 6-cyl. tractors, Large row-crops. The small utility tractors were all "84-series" while IH built them, then Case/IH made an "85-series" for a couple years. All utilities were built at the Nuess Germany plant. Great little tractors.