Farmall Cub

/ Farmall Cub #11  
Will, the points you make are true on some vintage tractors, and not others. My Ferguson handles pretty well, probably not as well as your Kubota, but much better than your Cub. The brakes are good, and stop the tractor easily and quickly. I would put the steering against ANY modern tractor that doesn't have power steering. It has a fantastic turning radius. My point was, if you get a vintage tractor in good shape to start with, normally with just very simple routine maintenance, it will stay in good shape. It may not be quite as good as a new one, but I think, when you figure the cost, you're way ahead of the game./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Rich

/ Farmall Cub #12  
Will, by the way your Cub was certainly a beauty!! I'll bet the kids miss it, and you probably do too! Your Kubota is more efficient, but I'll bet the Cub was alot of fun!!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Rich

Rich

/ Farmall Cub #13  
Having a newer Kubota, and a Farmall A, I would say that for the most part, the modern tractors we discuss on this forum are light years ahead of my "A", and a TO-30, or 9N.

However, for the most part(not al, but most), we have new tractors with power steering, 4wd, and hydro drives. To have a fair comparison of the old iron to the most comparable new aluminum and plastic, they should be compared to something with a gear drive, no ps, and maybe even 2wd.

Most of us are, in fact, driving the "Cadillac's" of small tractors these days. There are still a lot of more basic type tractors out the being sold.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Farmall Cub #14  
John,

You seem to be the single person on this board with the most tractor information at his finger tips. So: In your database, do you have any information on which tractor model was the MOST popular? In other words, which tractor model (of all combined manufacturers) had the longest running or largest production?

Just wondering.

SHF

/ Farmall Cub #15  
That's a great question!! You're putting the pressure on John, but he'll come through!! Can't wait to see the answer!! I wonder if it's one of the Ford "N" series. Or maybe a Farmall. I'm sure John's researching it now!!!
Cool question!! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Rich

/ Farmall Cub #16  
If I had to guess, I would have to say the Ford 8N. I still see them all over the place.

18-30445-von.gif

/ Farmall Cub #18  
Rich and Von

I know I'm putting the pressure on John, but I just had to do it. I fugure he's the guy with the most facts and figures at his fingertips, so who better to ask. My hunch is that you guys are right and the N series will be the sure winner. If I understand it right, the 700/800/900 series and the 701/801/901 series were just a revamp of the N's.

SHF