International Harvester 440T Baler knots

/ International Harvester 440T Baler knots #1  

JoeGwozdz

I have a 440T IH baler, the knotters are not working and I do not have an owners manual. The biggest problem is that the knotter fails to hold the twine and there doesn't seem to be any adjustment on this style knotter. Does anyone have experience with this model or know how to solve this problem... or better yet know where I could purchase an owners repair manual?

/ International Harvester 440T Baler knots #3  
You might also try posting this under the ag threads.
Cliff

/ International Harvester 440T Baler knots #4  
Do you know how to adjust the tension on the knotters? It sounds like they need to have more tension. Adjust just a click or two at a time. Too much tension and the knot won't release from the bill hook.

/ International Harvester 440T Baler knots #5  
I had that problem on my IH 37 which is very similar. Even with adjusting it kept doing what yours are doing. So I carefull disassembled them and cleaned them thoroughly, put them back together and walaa...no more missed knots. But just be careful to watch how they come apart.

/ International Harvester 440T Baler knots #6  
My 47 (which I think actually has a 450 knotter on it - I'm the third owner) was doing the same thing. Have you lifted the knotter unit up - take it loose and lift it up and check for hay and straw caught up underneath. I did that and haven't missed a bale in 3 years and knot was pulling out about 1 in 10 bales at the time. I thought the whole knotter was worn out, but it was all b/c of hay stuck pretty tightly down underneath the knotter.

Hope you find your issue, nothing much more frustrating than a baler that's not tying.