DX18E

/ DX18E #1  

MarlandS

Bronze Member
I've been doing the "check out everybody" routine as I search for a SubCUT . I'm down to the DX18E , and have one "real" question. After reading the specs I've noticed it's engine is the same as the DX22E. Where did they lose 4 HP? Is the pump entirely different, the setting just lower, or the nozzles a different size?

I guess what I'm asking is, should I pull the trigger on this one, how hard is it going to be to give it a bump in power after the warranty runs out?

/ DX18E #2  
I think your question was asked some time ago in the New Holland Group. I don't think it was easy to get the 4 hp back. In fact I was most interested because I had the TC29 and it had the same engine as the 33. I can't remember what the differences was but there was someting in the displacement or something like that along with the injectors. I think you were cheaper to just buy the larger tractor and be done with it.

murph

/ DX18E #3  
It has to do with the amount of fuel system capacity, as you expected. You see the same thing on Johnson outboards. The 9.9 and 15 horse models are the same engine with a different carburetor. Some lakes have a 10 hp limit, hence the popularity of the 9.9. Back then, of course, you could just swap out the carb and leave the housing and get away with running a 15hp engine on a 10 hp lake. It's a little more complicated than that with modern engines.