Need a Smoking Gun

/ Need a Smoking Gun #1  

WNYDF

My farm is debating weather to buy a John Deere 7520 or the Case MXM 155 for me to feed cows. It will be one of these machines.

As it stands the Case is in the lead by more PTO Horse Power, better fuel efficency, a cab with lots more glass and $12,000 less money.

The JD 7520 is a John Deere, thats what they tell me as the reason we should buy it. Plus a higher resale value.

Any advise on how to get around the politics involved here?

/ Need a Smoking Gun #2  
Where are you in WNY? Which dealers are you dealing with? That is one thing to consider. But in the end, it is who writes the check who has the final say. Some people will pay more for green paint and that name no matter what logic you use.

/ Need a Smoking Gun
Moved to CNY in April,

Dealing with Lakeland Equipment and Monroe Tractor in Auburn.

I belive your right. I may just have to keep pushing for it until CLAAS starts marketing tractors in the USA...Have they yet?

/ Need a Smoking Gun #4  
No, Claas hasn't started bringing tractors here. They know it will be hard for them to gain any market share here.

Lakeland is a good dealership. And I have never heard anything bad about Monroe either so dealer wise I think you are in good hands with both. Which brings it back to price. You can always work with your JD salesman and see if they can work the numbers some.

/ Need a Smoking Gun #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My farm is debating weather to buy a John Deere 7520 or the Case MXM 155 for me to feed cows. It will be one of these machines.

As it stands the Case is in the lead by more PTO Horse Power, better fuel efficency, a cab with lots more glass and $12,000 less money.

When it's your money, you get to decide. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You will also have the experience to understand value - not only today but when it's time to trade it in for the next tractor.
I don't bleed green (anymore), but facts are facts. Green will bring significantly higher resale value than a comparable Case in most parts of the U.S.

The JD 7520 is a John Deere, thats what they tell me as the reason we should buy it. Plus a higher resale value.

Any advise on how to get around the politics involved here? )</font>

/ Need a Smoking Gun #6  
I would take your WRITTEN quote into the JD Dealer and see if he can do any better-all of us hear all the time how A, B or C Dealer is cheaper without proof-bring him proof, he will probably try and work it out (sometimes Deere has some discretionary money to help meet the competition)-

/ Need a Smoking Gun #7  
Hi Robert in NY- I also live in Silver Creek, NY-- Small world LOL /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, Claas is now selling equipment here. I drive an OTR truck, and have seen Claas combines and other equipment at dealers in OH and IN. Talk about a global market, AG equipment is truly an example of it now.

Are people paying more for green paint and the reputation and resale it has? Of course. Are they owning and using significantly better machines than the global competitors? IMHO no they are not. If you are one who upgrades your equipment frequently, a JD is worth the additional investment for the resale, and people trust JD because they will be here for a long time to come when other major USA tractor manufacturers have exchanged hands many times.

That factor also comes into play if you buy the Case/IH to keep for the long decade run, and some company like Mahindra buys them out and quickly discontinues supplying parts for previous models. It's the comfort factor that gives JD the high resale value- and that does not matter if it's a huge domestic built JD farm machine, or a JD/Yanmar compact machine- perception is the key to marketing, but does not mean you get the best end product.

-Fordlords-

/ Need a Smoking Gun #8  
Glad to see another local on here.

Claas does sell combines and forage harvesters here but not the Renault based tractors. I do think they have started importing them to Canada but not to the US.

The Claas forage harvesters are heads and tails above the competiton (this coming from a NH guy). The FX chopper is a strong competitor but is just out gunned by Claas. JD makes a good chopper also but Claas is just too far ahead of them and NH right now.