Case IH D35 Problem - Low Power

/ Case IH D35 Problem - Low Power #1  

ThrallFarmer

Long time reader and first time poster. From this message board, I read tons of great info that led me to buy a D35 with FEL, PHD, and 6' cutter.

Have had it for 1.5 years and it has 120 hours. Love the machine, but had my first issue with it today.

Been out clearing weeds from the fence line by scrapping them off with my FEL. Used the tractor for about 3 hours today, when suddenly power dwindled. Didn't matter if i\I was forward/reverse, H/M/L, or 1-4, it just took awhile to start moving.

Only thing I did different today was put new diesel in. Could this be the issue? Checked all fluids, and all were clear and full. Been doing a lot of forward and reverse, and not knowing if the clutch could be an issue. Seemed like if I pulled up on the clutch, it would start rolling more, but certainly could just be perception.

Thanks ahead for your thougts.

Ron
Thrall, Texas

/ Case IH D35 Problem - Low Power #2  
Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<font color="blue"> Only thing I did different today was put new diesel in. Could this be the issue? </font>
Sure could be a problem if it has been setting or it is bad fuel. Have you checked fuel filter? May need to change if water is in fuel.
<font color="blue"> Seemed like if I pulled up on the clutch, it would start rolling more, but certainly could just be perception.
</font> I'm not familiar with a D35. But your mentioning of pulling the clutch up leads me to believe that engine is running OK. But you have no power when moving forward. Could brake pedals be set?

/ Case IH D35 Problem - Low Power #3  
Ron, it's hard to tell from your post whether your engine rpm dropped causing loss of power, or if the engine rpm stayed up and your clutch was just slipping. If it was just the tractor moving that was slow/sluggish and the FEL had plenty of power and the engine rpm stayed constant, then I think you have a clutch problem. However, sudden clutch problems are pretty rare without some additional noise related to the failure. Could it be that your clutch really just started slipping a bit due to getting broken in and needing adjustment? If you pulled the pedal all the way up and it seemed to get better, I think there is a good possibility you just need a clutch adjustment, especially if you've been doing a lot of work in the first 120 hours that included slipping the clutch.

/ Case IH D35 Problem - Low Power
Thanks for the info. A bit more details:

1. The engine seems fine and sounds great. The FEL operates fine, but there is no power in driving forward or reverse.

2. The loss of power happened quickly. I actually thought that I was stuck in a ditch because I couldn't move. I did check my brakes, because I have done that before many times.

3. There was quite a bit of underbrush of 1/2 inch that was scrapping the tractor. Not certain if that changed an adjustment or not.

Thanks again all. I'll change the fuel filter today to see if that helps. I'll monkey with the clutch adjustment as well.

Ron

/ Case IH D35 Problem - Low Power #5  
If your engine is running normally and the rpms are up, it really sounds like there is slippage in the clutch. I'm not familiar with that tractor, but limbs can sometimes get in linkages or bend them. A limb might have bent a clutch linkage so that it is partially depressing your clutch. I would get to the source of this before driving the tractor so as not to burn the clutch.

/ Case IH D35 Problem - Low Power #6  
I have a Case D 35 IH and it is in the shop for the same problem it sounds like you are having. Everything runs and sounds good but it is like it is always in neutral. It won't acknowledge forward or reverse. What have you done to fix your problem? I have about 450 hours on my Case D 35.
Casey

/ Case IH D35 Problem - Low Power #7  
I am about to buy a case D-35. I would like to know how did you resolve this problem? Was-it important?