Back from the shop

/ Back from the shop #1  

sheepman

Tractor
1962 Fordson Super Major Diesel, 1951 Ferguson TO20
I just got my DX40 back from my dealer for some service work and I learned a couple of things that might interest some.

I had originally brought it in because I had 2 loose head bolts (previous post). I came to find out that there were 2 broken /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif bolts, and 1 that had a serious fracture. The dealer told me this was either caused by a bad batch of bolts, or that the bolts were not torqued correctly from the factory, more likely the latter.

While it was there, the mechanic heard a mysterious ticking sound. They found that the rod that the rockers pivot on was machined wrong from the factory. The oil lubrication holes are supposed to face 6 o'clock; mine faced 9 o'clock, so they weren't being lubed correctly /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Luckily, all of this work was covered under warranty, but I thought I'd share my experience and make everyone aware of this situation.

By the way, the shock on the adjustable steering column was also shot, so they replaced it too. I remember seeing an old post on this topic.

Hopefully I can go awhile without any more repairs. Warranty runs out in June.