IH560--too big??

/ IH560--too big?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm trying to figure out what size of tractor I need to buy. I've got 45 acres, 20% wooded, the rest open grassland. I plan on using a brush hog, auger, box blade initially with the possibility of baler later on. I've looked at smaller "utility" sized tractors, but I'm a little concerned it might be too small, not to mention the cost of the bigger 560 is cheaper. I'm not set on any particular brand, but I'm looking hard at IH and JD. Any thoughts or advice?

/ IH560--too big?? #2  
For brush hogs, augers, and box blades . . ., well they make them in different sizes so a wide variety of tractor sizes can be used; small tractors just take smaller implements and longer to do the job. But for a round baler, I'd say the 560 is just fine; if anything it's getting close to the minimum size I'd recommend.

Bird

/ IH560--too big??
I sharpened my eye-teeth on some Farmall's and an IH460, I believe the same size frame, just a smaller 6 cylinder. The 460 is 49 PTO hp, and the 560 is 63 PTO hp.

My friend still has his Dad's 460 after all these years {since the early 60's}, just had it rebuilt. The only problems were the band brakes and the TA.

You pull the throttle on that baby and the front end would lift off the ground and go airborne bigtime... it's a wonder we are still all alive {Ballast...what ballast?}

I've seen the 460's and 560's at a few auctions the past year and down to $2k... so you should see some bargains in that hp range. What is the asking price of the 560 you're looking at... and is it gas or diesel... the gas jobs were hogs...@ 25 cents a gallon nobody cared then....

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ IH560--too big??
The 560 is going for $2800 and a diesel. Pretty good shape overall, runs wells. Needs a little paint, but no big deal. I think it should do what I need it to do!

/ IH560--too big??
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input! I'm going with the 560. I'm sure I'll have more questions about it once I get and on down the road!

/ IH560--too big?? #7  
$2800 for a 60-horse diesel!!! Sounds like a great bargain.

I just paid twice that for a cherry 385, so you should feel very good about that much tractor for your dollar.

Best,

Mark