DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( And to make sure I'm understanding this, you can shift on the fly with the clutch within the synchronized gears without stopping but if you want to shift between the ranges you have to stop and clutch?)</font>

Correct

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I guess you would still need to stop between forward/reverse shifting though even though it is synchronized?)</font>

With a syncronized shuttle you can be moving when shifting from forward to reverse (though it is likely a little harder on the syncronizers when moving, so stopping to forward/reverse would be better in my opinion).

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #12  
To understand the shuttle transmission, think in terms of 3 gearsets. The first one selects between 4 speeds and is synchronized so you can shift while moving with no problem. The second one selects between 3 ranges, with the output feeding the first one. This one is usually not synchronized and you need to stop to engage each range. The third one selects between 2 directions and may or may not require stopping and/or clutching, depending on the tractor in question. Some of them just require moving a direction lever and the tractor will slow and change directions at the same speed. Others want you to clutch, move the lever, "unclutch" and it will slow and change. The last type isn't really a shuttle in my mind, more of a pseudo-shuttle, you need to stop or almost stop, clutch, shift, and go.

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission
Thanks everyone for the input.

I test drove a DX40 this morning they didn't have a DX45 in stock. I don't think I like the hydro transmission. It starts up pretty jerky to me. And I'm not sure I could ever get used to not having a clutch! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I really liked being able to see the bucket on the loader with the curved hood and loader arms though.

Still trying to decide.

Thanks for the input.

Nathan

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission
Just to make sure I test drove the DX40 and DX35 again this afternoon. If I was doing a lot of slow back and forth front loader work I really think this would be a great transmission but that isn't what I will be using the tractor for.

I appreciate the input from everyone. It was kind of interesting that the salesman didn't know that the relief valve on the hydro was the same on the DX35 - DX45. We talked to the service manager though and he confirmed that they were all the same. I didn't like the manual shift on the DX55 up by the steering wheel. The JX65 they had was nice but too big for me. Looks like I am going to end up with a Kubota with the powershift transmission.

Thanks, Nathan

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #15  
Have you tried a DX with the shuttle 12 speed? They didn't have one around here, but they're out there somewhere. Another option you might look at is the straight D models as opposed to the DX. You get more tractor per dollar with the D.

Kubota makes a great machine, but I can't convince my posterior that it likes the fit of the seat, especially compared to the Case.

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #16  
"...but I really was wanting the pulling capablitiy of a 45 - 50 hp tractor for doing some box blade work. I have a 3,000' driveway and was wanting to pull a 7' box blade. I also need the PTO hp to run my 6' rotary mower."

To have pulling capacity, you need to have weight to keep the wheels from spinning, so for that you'd probably need a Kioti.

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #17  
We have a DX45 and a D40 in our family. The D40 is as you said a synchronized shuttle. That means you do not have to be at a dead stop to change directions. You do have to depress the clutch as you mentioned. Another nice feature on the D40 is having 3 ranges in the transmission so you can normally use mid range and have 4 gears to work without having to change ranges. The other option you may want to consider is the quick coupler as then you can use forks, grapples or other universal skid steer attachments. You can see the bucket and coupler very well with the design of the hood and loader. Even if you are not thinking about other attachments today, the ability to quick detach the bucket when in confined areas becomes very valuable.

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( It was something to do with the pressure relief valve on the Hydro transmission being the same on the DX35 - DX45. The poster made it sound like the DX45 would not be able to pull anymore than the DX35 because of this even though it had more power.
)</font>

It was probably me that made that statement and I stand by it. The pressure relief valve for the DX45 has the same part number as the one for the DX35 and they relieve at 5,000 psi.

You could make an argument that the DX35 engine might stall in Lo-Turtle where the DX40 or DX45 would not. That's something I have not tested. However, if the DX35 can stall the transmission in Lo-Turtle, the DX40 or DX45 can do no better because of the identical pressure relief. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've had my NH TC45D in stall many, many times in Lo-Turtle. It pops the relief quite easily. As far as I'm concerned, you'll get the best all-around bang for the buck in the DX40 where you have the increased FEL and 3PH lift.

Comparing any of these models to a Kubota is really subjective. You should try to come up with a consistent way of testing the tractors for power so you are satisfied you are making the right choice. I love my New Holland, but I can't really tell you whether NH/Case or Kubota HST transmissions are the best at getting all the power to the ground. You just have to buy the best tractor for what you'll use it for 80% of the time. If that's plowing, I'd be really skeptical about any HST.

)</font>

Jim, I assume theat the Farmall is the same tractor as the Boomer from NH?
Bob

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #19  
Doc, to reply to your question to Jim, yes. The TC series from NH is the same as the DX series from Case. The exception is that Case has no equivalent to the TC-30. I'm not 100% on this but I think the TZ series in blue paint is the DX**E, or estate tractors from Case. There are some minor differences in the lights, and Case does not offer the SuperSteer option in any form.

It's like comparing a Kia and a Hyundia -- Same car, same warranty, different dealers. Or, closer to home, a Buick and a Pontiac or Chevy, although GM is trying harder to differentiate between lines lately.

Anyways, both are good machines, so pick your favorite dealer. If those are both equally impressive, go with your favorite color unless you have feelings about the shape of the lights. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Doc, to reply to your question to Jim, yes. The TC series from NH is the same as the DX series from Case. The exception is that Case has no equivalent to the TC-30. I'm not 100% on this but I think the TZ series in blue paint is the DX**E, or estate tractors from Case. There are some minor differences in the lights, and Case does not offer the SuperSteer option in any form.

It's like comparing a Kia and a Hyundia -- Same car, same warranty, different dealers. Or, closer to home, a Buick and a Pontiac or Chevy, although GM is trying harder to differentiate between lines lately.

Anyways, both are good machines, so pick your favorite dealer. If those are both equally impressive, go with your favorite color unless you have feelings about the shape of the lights. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Thanks. I appreciate your time to answer such a newbie question. Some day I won't be a newbie!
Bob