DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #1  

npaden

Platinum Member
Tractor
2011 LS U5030C
Okay, I was about set on a Kubota L4400 then on a Kubota MX5000 (both manual transmissions) and now am leaning toward an HST. The kubota has a really nice HST with 3 different ranges in the GL4630 and GL5030 models.

I checked out the CaseIH DX45 model with the HST and I couldn't really figure out the ranges available. Looks like just the push button high and low?

I really liked the joystick position for the loader on the DX45 and the curved loader and hood really give you great visibility on the loader, but I really was wanting the pulling capablitiy of a 45 - 50 hp tractor for doing some box blade work. I have a 3,000' driveway and was wanting to pull a 7' box blade. I also need the PTO hp to run my 6' rotary mower.

Reading up on the DX models it sounds like the DX45 Hydro won't pull anymore than a DX35 Hydro. Is this still true? I don't think the DX55 is available in Hydro?

I will probably be using the box blade more than the loader so if that is the case I may end up back with a Kubota. I guess the standard transmission on the DX45 is still an option also.

Thanks, Nathan

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission
Also, I was quoted $24,000 for the DX45 with the LX116 loader and R4 tires. Does this sound in the ballpark? I haven't haggled at all with them yet, that was just the price over the phone.

Also, I've noticed these nearly all have R4 tires. I would really prefer R1 tires, do you have to special order them that way?

Thanks, Nathan

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #3  
As far as the hi low range is concerned, this tractor has a two ranges, marked as I and II. Within each range there is a high and low that you can change with the push of a button without stopping the tractor, unlike other tractors with three ranges which you have to stop in order to shift between ranges. You do need to stop to shift between I and II but not between high and low. This supposedly gives you four effective ranges.

The DX45 seems to have approximately the same Engine HP and PTO HP as the L4400 but with a hydro which is easier to use. And yes, the position of the joystick and the curved loader arms are more user friendly.

I don't see why you couldn't use a 6' rotary cutter and 7' box blade with this machine. The PTO HP is slightly more than the L4400 but not significantly more.

It was something to do with the pressure relief valve on the Hydro transmission being the same on the DX35 - DX45. The poster made it sound like the DX45 would not be able to pull anymore than the DX35 because of this even though it had more power.

That makes sense in some ways but seems insane in other ways that a tractor with 10hp more wouldn't be able to pull a bigger implement.

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It was something to do with the pressure relief valve on the Hydro transmission being the same on the DX35 - DX45. The poster made it sound like the DX45 would not be able to pull anymore than the DX35 because of this even though it had more power.
)</font>

It was probably me that made that statement and I stand by it. The pressure relief valve for the DX45 has the same part number as the one for the DX35 and they relieve at 5,000 psi.

You could make an argument that the DX35 engine might stall in Lo-Turtle where the DX40 or DX45 would not. That's something I have not tested. However, if the DX35 can stall the transmission in Lo-Turtle, the DX40 or DX45 can do no better because of the identical pressure relief. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've had my NH TC45D in stall many, many times in Lo-Turtle. It pops the relief quite easily. As far as I'm concerned, you'll get the best all-around bang for the buck in the DX40 where you have the increased FEL and 3PH lift.

Comparing any of these models to a Kubota is really subjective. You should try to come up with a consistent way of testing the tractors for power so you are satisfied you are making the right choice. I love my New Holland, but I can't really tell you whether NH/Case or Kubota HST transmissions are the best at getting all the power to the ground. You just have to buy the best tractor for what you'll use it for 80% of the time. If that's plowing, I'd be really skeptical about any HST.

Yes, I think it was you on the previous post. I really think the standard transmission would work fine 80% of the time and even on the 20% of the time I would be able to do what I needed to with the standard transmission, it would just take a little longer.

Now I have to decide if the curved loader arms and hood make the CaseIH tractors enough better than the Kubota's. I can get the standard shift MX5000 Kubota with a really nice LA-852 loader for a little less than the CaseIH DX45 with standard shift.

The shuttle shift in the DX45 is basically just a standard transmission right? You still have to clutch between gears, but do you have to come to a complete stop like you have to on the Kubotas with the standard shift?

Thanks, Nathan

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #7  
I have had my DX45 for 2 + years now. I have not had any problems with my 6' box blade. The only time i had a problem towing was an 8000lbs Vermer tree spade with tree. I have used this tractor for my landscaping busisness. I looked for three years prior to buying the DX45. I looked at JD's 110 and Kubotas L48. For finish, brush mowing the machine is great. A great option to consider is 2 rear remote hyd valves. and top & tilt pistons on the rear. If you go to the Case IH photo page you can see my machine.

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The shuttle shift in the DX45 is basically just a standard transmission right? You still have to clutch between gears, but do you have to come to a complete stop like you have to on the Kubotas with the standard shift?
)</font>

Nathan, since I have a hydro, I have no first-hand knowledge of how the shuttle shift works. I'll have to hope somebody with that model tractor will see this post and fill in those details for you.

/ DX45 Hydrostatic Transmission #9  
The D45 is the Non-Hydro version of the DX45. It features a 12x12 Transmission (12 speeds forward/12 Reverse) which consists of Three Non Synchronized Range Gears and Four synchronized speed gears. The forward/reverse shuttle is synchronized as well which makes the tractor a pleasure to operate. Good Luck with your decision!

And to make sure I'm understanding this, you can shift on the fly with the clutch within the synchronized gears without stopping but if you want to shift between the ranges you have to stop and clutch?

I guess you would still need to stop between forward/reverse shifting though even though it is synchronized?

Thanks, Nathan