international 384

/ international 384 #1  

ljw

I have an opportunity to purchase a '78 IH 384 for $5,000. Don't know much about the tractor. Could anyone out there help me with the pros and cons of this particular model?
Thanks!

/ international 384 #2  
Go to your local tractor dealer (oops there is no International Harvester dealer any more) and see if he carries the parts (or knows who does) that you need for the tractor. Then ask him to give you the price he would give for it and the price he would sell it to you. He will have to know the hours on the tractor and general condition. The resale is better on John Deere, New Holland and Kubota, but since you want to buy this one, it definately should be less than the big 3 tractors. 1978 is not old if the tractor is in good condition and the hours are low. I bought a Massey 245 made in 1982 with 800 hours on it when I bought it in 1994.

/ international 384 #3  
I hope this information helps a little.

1973 IH 354 with front end loader,33hp at pto,gas for fuel,2997 hours came in to a local dealer and 3 people were interested,was sold with in 2 days for $6,950.oo.

The tractor was in darn good shape.

Have you check out ww.tractortips.com

Take care and good luck.

Thomas..NH

/ international 384 #4  
I own an International 454D (D being diesel). There is no doubt about the older tractors being made of real steel. Mine has 1404 hours on it. I use it to mow and throw a box scraper on. It runs beautifully and yes there are IH dealers around, perhaps not as many as Kubota, but then, where I live, I have 4 Kubota dealers very close to me and find my needs are not that excessive. Mines a 1974 I think and have not needed the dealer for any parts yet. The tractor is a beast, the 3 cylinder diesel has plenty of power. If I were to sell it, I am told as much as $8000 could be expected for it, Rat...