Oil & Fuel DX33 fuel gauge

/ DX33 fuel gauge #1  

cardenh

The fuel gauge quit working on my dx33. I have not tried at this point to find the cause. Just wondering if anyone else has had the problem on an have any suggestions on what to look for to solve the problem.

/ DX33 fuel gauge #2  
Well, it's either in the tank, the gauge, or somewhere in between. I'd start with the electrical connection that's easiest to reach and go from there, probably at the sending unit in the tank. If it quit all of a sudden, you probably have a wire pulled loose somewhere.

/ DX33 fuel gauge #3  
I sometimes have to thump ( kind of a Fonzie tap) the gage panel to get my fuel gage to work. That's all it's taken so far.

/ DX33 fuel gauge #4  
Someone else posted a fuel gauge problem but I couldn't find it. That problem was it read full all the time. Turned out to be the fuel gauge wire shorted out to the engine ground which made it read full. Luckily he was able to remove the short to ground and tape up the wire and it worked again. If yours doesn't work at all then the wire may have broken. The gauge sends voltage through the wire to the sending unit in the tank which is basically a variable resistor controlled by a float. The float varies the resistance to ground making the gauge read. If you can pull your sending unit from the tank you can test it with an ohmmeter. If thats OK then check the rest of the wiring.