International B414

/ International B414 #1  

bunny

Ms. City Slicker is considering buying an International B414 to bush hog about 10-15 mostly level acres. It's gas powered. I don't know the history--it's got a "for sale" sign hanging on it on the side of the road-. The seller wants $3200 and it includes a Woods bush hog attachment. Does anyone out there know if this is suitable for me? All I want to do is bush hog 3-4-5 time a year, and thats it. Thanks in advance. Bunny

/ International B414 #2  
International B-414, Mfr. 1961-66, 36.4 PTO HP, 3600 lbs., Last Fact. Price $2,900.

Low/Avg/High Auction Pricing
$1000/1770/2550.

"B" means British import

Assuming the current owner used this brush-hog and it's sized accordingly {5-6'}, yes that's a great little machine for your property... then get a rear blade for snow removal in the winter... {ya may need chains...}

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ International B414 #3  
I have a friend who has an International with a "B" number, which as John pointed out means British import. He has had alot of trouble getting parts for it, and they are much more expensive than parts for a domestically made International. I don't know if it holds true for all British made Internationals, but it's worth considering.

Rich

/ International B414
So do you all think I'm crazy to buy this red contraption, or would I be better spending a few more $$$, and getting something newer?

/ International B414 #5  
The price you're quoting is on the high side, it must be in cherry condition and everything must be in working order to pay that price.

Why does the owner want to sell it... is anything wrong with the tractor...? You have to ask these questions... it's your money, you're not buying a submarine sandwich for $5. ... if it tastes terrible you can throw away and eat losing $5., we're talking a few thousand dollars here... {I personally do this often and occasionally get burned for a few thousand now and then... but can you afford it ? It's not my money...}

If the tractor has a hidden problem you "discover" after plopping down $3200.... guess who gets to pay the repair bill... can you fix it....?

Have a trusted tractor mechanic {your choosing not theirs...}, give the unit a once over... if everything looks good, ask the owner if you can take it home for a weekend... within a couple hours you should see any problems if any... {overheating, hydraulic/pto defects, etc.}

To answer your original question, Yes, this tractor will do what you specified...

Now, you have to ask yourself the question... Do I feel lucky...?

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ International B414 #6  
I concur with my buddy John, who knows much more about this than I do. Having a vintage tractor myself, I do have a few suggestions.
First, as John said, try to find a reliable tractor mechanic in your area and have him/her look at it. Also see if you have a source for parts, at least parts you'll need for routine maintenance. In my case, I have a local tractor supply store, and he stocks all of the routine parts for my Ferguson, and he can order almost anything else I need.

Those old Internationals are very well built machines, and if you can determine it's in good shape, and have a source for parts you're set. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to try to negotiate the price lower.

Good luck!!!

Rich