Battery wires are hot

/ Battery wires are hot #1  

mffarmall

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2425, MF 50, JD B, Farmall Super MTA
SMTA is 12V used to have a 13.5 volt battery. Put a 12V on worked for a while then started to spark and run out of juice. The manuel that I was given was for a Super M. But they are almost the same tractor. Wires get really hot.

Need information about the 53 SMTA was it a 12 V or 6 Conversion. Engine is great.

/ Battery wires are hot
SMTA is 12V used to have a 13.5 volt battery. Put a 12V on worked for a while then started to spark and run out of juice. The manuel that I was given was for a Super M. But they are almost the same tractor. Wires get really hot.

Need information about the 53 SMTA was it a 12 V or 6 Conversion. Engine is great.

/ Battery wires are hot #3  
"Used to have a 13.5v battery" I've never heard of one. There might be some designed for special applications, but shouldn't be on a tractor. I'm almost positive the Super M was 6 volt.

If you see sparks, look for bad connections at the spark. Bad connections cause heat. Cables too small will cause heat, or a bad starter overloading the battery and cables will make cables hot. I would start by checking both battery cables for good tight, corrosion free connections. Is there corrosion where the wire goes into the cable ends? If so, replace the cables. Be sure to clean the connection where the ground cable connects to the frame or engine, too.

/ Battery wires are hot #4  
"Used to have a 13.5v battery" I've never heard of one. There might be some designed for special applications, but shouldn't be on a tractor. I'm almost positive the Super M was 6 volt.

If you see sparks, look for bad connections at the spark. Bad connections cause heat. Cables too small will cause heat, or a bad starter overloading the battery and cables will make cables hot. I would start by checking both battery cables for good tight, corrosion free connections. Is there corrosion where the wire goes into the cable ends? If so, replace the cables. Be sure to clean the connection where the ground cable connects to the frame or engine, too.

/ Battery wires are hot
At one time the guy that I bought it from said that he had changed out the starter. The battery box coroded and I reattached the line to a new spot. I got some new cord from WalMart. May be they are too small. I attached the new negative to a painted spot. I need to try these changes.

Clean out the box
clean off the old connections
fire it up

/ Battery wires are hot
At one time the guy that I bought it from said that he had changed out the starter. The battery box coroded and I reattached the line to a new spot. I got some new cord from WalMart. May be they are too small. I attached the new negative to a painted spot. I need to try these changes.

Clean out the box
clean off the old connections
fire it up

/ Battery wires are hot #7  
What about the polarity? I used to have a '53 Dodge pickup that someone had put the battery in backwards before I got it. Being young and dumb and also knowing the thing had lugs with left hand threads on one side and right hand threads on the other, I presumed it was correct. It would start and run okay, but the electrics were weird.

I don't know about your Super M TA, but you might want to double check with someone about whether it's positive ground or negative. The person who worked on it before could have gotten some wires crossed. I'm pretty sure it should be negative ground, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I would also support the idea of cleaning the contacts to bare metal and getting heavier cable. I would not get anything of the sort at wallyworld. The cables I've seen there tend to have thick rubber and thin metal. Go to Autozone, NAPA, or some other reliable automotive supplier. Make sure your connections are tight, too.

This site is mostly used by guys with newer compact type tractors. There are lots of sites for guys who work with older iron where you might find more active boards for your tractor. Try googling "antique tractors" or something like that.

Is your Super M a working tractor, or are you restoring it for parades and such? My nephew and his dad have one that he rebuilt several years ago while he was in high school, but the thing just sits in the shop, all nice and pretty, collecting dust. They have an 8N and WD45 the same way. Seems a shame to let good tractors do nothing.

/ Battery wires are hot #8  
What about the polarity? I used to have a '53 Dodge pickup that someone had put the battery in backwards before I got it. Being young and dumb and also knowing the thing had lugs with left hand threads on one side and right hand threads on the other, I presumed it was correct. It would start and run okay, but the electrics were weird.

I don't know about your Super M TA, but you might want to double check with someone about whether it's positive ground or negative. The person who worked on it before could have gotten some wires crossed. I'm pretty sure it should be negative ground, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I would also support the idea of cleaning the contacts to bare metal and getting heavier cable. I would not get anything of the sort at wallyworld. The cables I've seen there tend to have thick rubber and thin metal. Go to Autozone, NAPA, or some other reliable automotive supplier. Make sure your connections are tight, too.

This site is mostly used by guys with newer compact type tractors. There are lots of sites for guys who work with older iron where you might find more active boards for your tractor. Try googling "antique tractors" or something like that.

Is your Super M a working tractor, or are you restoring it for parades and such? My nephew and his dad have one that he rebuilt several years ago while he was in high school, but the thing just sits in the shop, all nice and pretty, collecting dust. They have an 8N and WD45 the same way. Seems a shame to let good tractors do nothing.

/ Battery wires are hot #9  
MFfarmall, My Farmall A had the same problem with it's 6 volt battery. I just installed larger battery cables - the ones that are flat and about an inch wide - and that solved the problem.

/ Battery wires are hot #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( SMTA is 12V used to have a 13.5 volt battery. \ )</font>

A 12 V and 13.5 volt battery are the same. With the engine running the voltage will be at about 14. With the engine off and the battery full charged it should be about 12.5. Both have 6 cells. It's like calling Bob, Bobby or Robert. They are the same person.

Are the cables hot when it is running? If they are the starter motor might be running when the engine is running. This seems unlikely as the starter would burn out in a few minutes. You need a good mechanic for this.

What is battery voltage while running?
What is battery voltage with engine off?
Could the cables be hot from engine heat.

Bob Rip